Dissociated's avatar

Dissociated

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jul 30, 2018

Can you break free from the cycle?

I very rarely want to leave a review. Considering this is a piece of a series of movies, I'll not write much about the movie itself: what I will say is that this episode is widely different from every other movie, which makes it very interesting. As always, spoilers ahead, so read on your own risk.

-----

The storytelling is non-linear. It's very much like the movie Mememto, with the past at first which loops back in the end together. The story jumps around a lot, showing places you've already seen, cuts you've already seen, which makes it hard to follow. I personally feel like you're supposed to look after hints; to look after the minor details that give away where in the story you are, and what is happening next.

The story itself is amazing; do we have free will? If we repeat something enough... will something break free from the cycle? It's an idea similar to what the buddhism faith has, which makes it very intriguing to follow.

The animation, sound design was stunning as always: as an example of this, I'll be using this scene from the middle of the movie. The animation, the sound made the scene intense and filled it with adrenaline, making it a wonderful piece to listen and watch.

If you were following Kara no Kyoukai since the start, you will know the charactes continues advancing in this episode too. As a standalone, the characters are still very well done and it's a heartbreak seeing them realize how - and what they are.

Overall the I'd give it a 9.5/10. One of the best movies from Kara no Kyoukai.

Edit: Spelling.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or