Dionkeykong's avatar

• Greece
  • Joined Jan 6, 2016

Honey and Clover

Jan 24, 2018

Readers beware:Excessive use of mature language.If you are allergic to different opinions to yours then sod off or i'm bringing out the hammer.

With that outta the way let's see what's what.If you have eyes,which i pressume you have since you're here,the synopsis is somewhere here on AP so i won't bother with that at all.I've wasted enough of my time watching the damn anime,i refuse to waste some more.

And we begin,rather confusingly,with the opening song.That's the first thing that hits your screen after all so let's go with that.It's rubbish.Plain and simple rubbish.This is the opening of an anime and what they show you is some food either dancing or humping or whateva..I've seen many shit in my life but this trumps it all easily.As for the song being used?That's like listening to the mumblings of a child who got hold of a bottle of scotch and drank it all in one sitting and then telling you all about it's kindergarden adventures and how nobody loves him/her and is all alone and life is terrible and my ice cream melted and SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY..Dear mf lord!

And when you go past the first boss that is the opening song you are presented with one of the most ridiculous and horrific animations ever.If we were talking about DMC or even Ebichu it would be ok.That's supposed to be a somewhat serious down to earth anime and it looks like a fucking joke.It's not DMC bad but for a 2005 anime this looks like a washed out corpse.And don't think that as eps go by the animation gets any better cause it doesn't.In fact there are times where the animation is falling down a cliff.But hey this is heartwarming so the animation doesn't nee............Wait...What?What did you say?The animation what?Again if it's something like DMC made for fun then yes.If you're going for an anime that is all about a deep story then the animation HAS to be top notch.Did you ever go to a fancy restaurant and they served you a dish that looks like someone's ear infection?I guess not unless you count food from a canteen top of the pops.I can understand low budget issues but the only time it looked good was when you were shown stills but the motion itself is rigid and limited.

And onto the story.It’s about a group of college students,mostly in arts,and how they deal with romance,friendship and misfortune.On paper this sounds interesting..But it so isn't!

First off the way you present the story or stories in this case is the A and the Ω.Cause on paper things sound ok but on screen not so much.It tries to tell many stories at once and fails miserably,much like Greece's economy.The end result is that this feels like 2 animes botched together in a hurry by someone who doesn't like anime or botching that much.The stories or these 2 animes don't fit,they don't match and they certainly don't have any effect whatsoever to each other.Let me give you a perfect example of what i'm on about.

Yuuta lives the simple life of an art student,struggling to make ends meet all the while dealing with his weird as fuck roommate,Shinobu..But then out of the blue comes a surprise in his life when his art teacher brings his cousin’s daughter and talented young woman named Hagumi to class.....What?Sorry i got that wrong..It's not that,it's the story of Ayumi a pottery student who has the hots for a man who stalks a widow......What the fuck is wrong with me today..This is about Shinobu and his brother getting back their father’s company..Basically what happened here was that many people gathered with ideas and because they were bored and wanted to be done with it they threw the whole lot in the pot and made a green potato mush garnished with sausages and crepes...And if my description doesn't sound much,you should watch it and see for yerselves what a big mess they made of the storytelling.I cannot put it into words just how bad it is.But i'll give it a go nevertheless.

Let's go for them characters now and dive deep into the sea of misery that is this cast.

Let’s start with Hagu,an 8-year-old girl who is actually 18 as we're told.Now i should stress that not only she looks like a child,but the thing is that she also acts like a child with plus the social issues of a grown up and the social insecurity.It would have been so much better and would make so much more sense if they had just said she was a child,except for the minor detail that one of the protagonists,Takemoto,is in love with her and that would spoil the story they already had.

Speaking of Takemoto,he has to be the most boring character in the anime.Apart from the said romance with the 8yr old he has nothing going for him.He feels like an extra in his own freaking story.Let me run this past you.Someone who goes to school and graduates IS NOT a story.It's betime story at best.Someone who fails because of his unwillingness but somehow gets his shit together and then graduates to become something is a story..And an interesting one at that.There's no character growth to be found here.Yuuta’s story is your basic trip to graduation promised land.And even his supposed feelings for the midget don't make it better,cause Hagu is by no means an interesting character.And as for their "relationship"?That makes no blind bit of difference cause....Spoilers so i won't get into that.Let's say it ends up with some huge hints of pedophilia..Some like this sort of stuff you know.That's why some people thought it was cute and life changing and down to earth...Pedophilia..Makes for some interesting anime.This should be the slogan for most of the reviews actually.

Then we have Ayumi and her love conquests which include half the men in Japan.That is to hide here love for the man who is friendzoned by a widow.But her story is the most interesting one in the whole anime weirdly but it falls flat because they make such a heavy use of melodrama it ends up being reduced to a ridiculous story of i can't get past my crush i shall ruin my life and commit suicide.

These characters are poorly developed.This is just a story of emotionally immature people made for emotionally immature people who can't handle life and always cry and moan about how life is unfair and cruel cause their love interest doesn't give a single fuck...Οh boohoo..Romantic comedy my hairy ass.Yes it does have some hilarity spread here and there,but it only serves as a shortcut to depression and suicidal avenue crossing the lovesickjunkies street.I've never seen such an example of people going out of their way to stay depressed.Unless we're talking about kids,but even kids grow out of it and go on.This lot doesn't do moving on.

And it's not just the characters.It's the way we're told about the story of these characters.It's also the use of music.Music if used right can convey and enhance the emotion in a scene or a dialogue.It's not something you use in massive doses otherwise you end up on the wrong side of the track.And that's the case here.Almost every dialogue or monologue is accompanied by sentimental music.This makes the scenes overdramatic when they don't need to be.

And then we have the way the story is fed to us the viewers.Here we stumble upon the biggest issue of all.If you happen to read any review you'll find that everyone says the same thing like a broken cassete player.That the greatest qualities are found in the form of inner monologues that tell us everything about what a character is thinking and feeling.Yeah...If used correctly again yes..But notice now the key to this sentence...TELLING.

These characters are telling us how they feel,not showing us.Now picture this in your head.If you take the sound down all the way to 0 in the monologues,would the characters convey the same feelings?Would it show in their expressions how they feel that given moment?The answer to that is no.

Now that is called lazy writing.It completely renders any scene devoid of meaning.In other words it's how powerful visually and intense a scene can be even if there is no dialogue at all.Anyone can draw a scene by telling us about the scene.But showing us?That's the shit right there.

Now i won't reccomend it to anyone.But if you want to watch it and draw your own conclusions that's fine by me.