Comnyando's avatar

Comnyando

• Austin
  • Joined Oct 28, 2015
  • ? / M

In This Corner of the World is a unique and refreshing movie that I feel is absolutely worth watching.

The movie is a historical slice of life set in WW2 era Japan. It does an excellent job of working within this setting to portray the lives of the ordinary people who lived and worked through this time rather than focusing on the battling or conflicts. I really enjoyed how it weaves the story of one girl, Suzu into the larger fabric of the struggle of the era and manages to show a new perspective on the war.

Although the animation quality is not as crisp and moe as a lot of shows made recently, don't let this turn you away from watching the movie. The animation style gives the movie a very 'classic' feel that reminds me of the Studio Ghibli films. The soundtrack is very nice and does a great job at adding emotion to the movie.

The best thing about the movie, in my opinion, was the characters. I felt like they all had a purpose and each had their own lives, even people you only saw in one scene had detail put into them. There was only one character who I felt was not done justice but overall I really liked how each character was introduced and developed. Mostly because you had to pay attention and infer what people felt rather than being told who anyone was.

TL; DR:

Great movie overall. Character development and sound on point. Historical setting (WW2 Japan) from an everyday person's perspective. Animation style has a 'classic' feel that complements the overall experience.

You should watch it.

9.5/10 characters

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

Win123 Oct 27, 2020

How can I watch it , when I clicked on that anime video is not appearing.....??