ChaosAlike's avatar

ChaosAlike

• Joined Mar 26, 2016
  • 19

When I first heard about Jojo, I was immediately excited to watch this gem of a series. I can safely say overall, I wasn't disappointed. However, Battle in Egypt shoots to the stars in quality while Stardust stays on the ground, if you catch my drift.

The story starts off with 17 year old Jotaro Kujo, who thinks he's possessed by an 'evil spirit' which his grandfather (Joseph Joestar from Battle Tendency) and a fortune teller named Avdol tell him he possesses a strange and mysterious power called a 'Stand'. From there, Jotaro meets Noriaki Kakyoin and Jean Pierre Polnareff as the five make their way to Egypt, fighting Dio's assassins who also possess stands.

I will say this: I was definitely not disappointed with any of the characters from Stardust. All of their powers were fairly interesting, even if they were kind of useless. One thing I do have to complain about is that the majority of this part does NOT focus on Jotaro, but instead on establishing everyone else, so our main Jojo felt a little underrated. But to make up for it, Noriaki and Polnareff definitely stole the show. Hol Horse and J. Geil did as well during episodes 10-11. The plot about Polnareff's sister and J. Geil was definitely an interesting turn of events, immediately followed by Avdol's "death" which was all the more heartbreaking. I very much liked how everyone's plots were evolved over time, and I found it interesting that after 'The Emperor and The Hanged Man' that Hol Horse was supposed to join the crusaders instead of Avdol coming back.

The animation blew me away. The neon color scheme, the way everyone looks which is faithful to Araki's original work, the way everyone's stand looked... Beautiful. It's fluid, full of color, and goregeous.

The music and sound design were absolutely mind blowing. Hats off to the music team especially because it fits the series so well. Everyone's dialogue was of course over the top and ridiculous, but would you expect anything less? Everything was made better with something in English *cough Joseph cough* and the one-liners and jokes had me laughing every time.

Overall, people may hate this part compared to Battle in Egypt because yes, this part does have a rocky start, but gets better as it goes on.