CaseyJewels's avatar

CaseyJewels

• USA
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011

This is a great movie, but it's so hard to rate because it broke my heart. I didn't realize it was going to be such a depressing movie, as I grabbed it more because it has ties to Studio Ghibli. I didn't really look at the plot synopsis or the like. Not to say I wouldn't have still picked it up, as WWII is one of those time periods that fascinates me.

This is the story of Seita and Setsuko, two children who are just trying to survive growing up during WWII in Japan. Their struggles were heartbreaking, but I loved seeing how they strived to overcome the world around them, doing their best to stay positive and move forward. This movie does an amazing job at capturing what it must have been like for the Japanese citizens at this time.

I cried at the end. I was really hoping things would somehow turn out different than what the beginning of the movie implies, but instead it broke my heart.

A few days later, and I still can't get this movie out of my head. I think it's an important one for people to see, as it's a great reminder that behind the faceless enemy of a country/government/people, there are many innocent people suffering and in need of help. The world is not as black and white as we pretend it to be.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or