CaseyJewels's avatar

• USA
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011

Digimon Adventure 02

Nov 9, 2015

This review is SPOILER HEAVY and full of ramblings.

This show… So many good memories of it. It doesn’t quite measure up to the first season, but I still loved it as a child and I love it now.

I don’t know how canon everything is from this season to Digimon Tri, but I wanted to rewatch this show to be ready, and I also wanted to watch the original Japanese version, as early anime especially had many changes to it when coming to America.

I love this show’s style of animation. It’s very fun and works well for both comedy and action. I also love the redesign of most of the original cast, and their new designs fit them well. The only one I never liked much was Mimi’s, as hers makes her look like she’s trying to be a generic popstar, but that’s a minor nitpick.

I also loved the designs of Davis, Ken, and Yolei. Cody, not so much, but… I also loved the designs of their Digimon and all of the evolutions, aside from one. That one being Shakkoumon. You take two Digimon that have great designs and turn them into… something really awkward. He just looks too stiff to be able to fight. I realize his design is based on something from Japanese culture, but so is the Pokemon Claydol, and I have no problems with his design. I don’t think Shakkoumon’s look would bother me so much if he had been a random Digimon, but it just didn’t match Angemon and Ankylomon, and it also felt like a letdown because of how hyped I was when the two of them finally managed to Jogress, as it had been very slow going for them. On the flipside, I LOVE Silphymon’s design! While Shakkoumon is awkward and Paildramon does the best at balancing the designs of the two Digimon it jogressed from, Silphymon’s design is the most cohesive while still matching the two Digimon it came from. But now that I’ve rambled about that…

For the plot(s) of this season, I really enjoyed them. In some ways, I liked how they progressed more than first season, as each plot of second season flows into the next and ends up all being connected. In the first season, the villains were pretty much all independent of one another (unless I’m forgetting something, even though I barely watched it…). In 02, everything fits together nicely.

I enjoyed each arc of the show, and I loved getting to know the new characters as well as learn what the old where up to. Whenever one of the older Chosen Child got in on the action, I was always excited. This is the same for when older digivolutions came up with Patamon and Gatomon. Their Armor designs were cool in that they worked so well off of each other, but I like their angel designs better. They were some of the coolest forms of the old show, so I can’t fault 02 too much for not being able to do something better or just as cool.

Also, Ken Ichijouji was my first anime crush, and it was so much fun to be able to revisit this show and be reminded why he’s still one of my top fictional crushes. As an adult, I can better identify with him as well, as we all make mistakes that we have to struggle to move past. Watching him grow and change and be forgiven by those he hurt was one of my favorite arcs in the show.

Now we come to the ending of the show… I’m still torn how I feel about it. It’s a cool idea and it’s easy to see how the show was heading in that direction through the inclusion of more and more Chosen Children, but it felt like it closed the world to any further stories (which is why the third season has the explanation it has about Digimon Adventure and 02). Obviously they have found some way to continue it with Tri, but many people think they might be retconning the ending of 02 (I’m not sure myself. They might just be inserting Tri before the epilogue part, and not changing the ending).

One other element I’m disappointed in is the romance with Sora. The epilogue never states who she ends up with, but near the end of the show there’s a moment with Matt that shows there’s a possibility there (which felt like it came out of nowhere). However, Tai and Sora seem like a great match—so much so I had a false memory of them getting together for years, only to be broken when the Digimon Tri news came out and I came across somebody complaining that these two didn’t get together and that hopefully Tri fixes that. I really hope that Tri does.

One more nitpick is the way this season handles killing villains. I don’t remember it being such a big deal in Adventure when the kids killed an evil Digimon. The Digimon was evil, and that’s just what they had to do to save the world. But in 02, it becomes a HUGE deal for the new Digidestined. I get that their introduction to Digimon was that they were good creatures being controlled for evil, and so they spent most of their time just fighting long enough to free Digimon, while in Adventure the Chosen Children learned pretty quick they would have to occasionally kill, but still… It just felt odd to bring up a problem with it in 02, rather than in Adventure.

I feel like I’ve been nitpicking a lot with this season, but that’s only because I really love this show and I want it to be the best it can be. Watching the finale was very emotional, even though I’ve seen it before. I will admit that I forgot Myotismon was behind the whole thing, but even after all these years, I’ve never forgotten that the Digidestined won because of the million points of light from all of the other children around the world. That was one of my favorite things about this finale, that it shows you are special for being just who you are, and even if you feel like your light is small, it still matters to the world.

Just like with Adventure, words cannot describe how much this show meant to me as a child/young teenager. It was a huge influence on who I am today, and Digimon and Pokemon were the first shows that really captured my imagination and let it soar.

02 does have its issues, but I think it was a good follow-up to Adventure, and it does a great job at further expanding the worlds and how they intersect with one another. I do have to wonder how so many kids became Chosen Children WITH partners when the Gates were closed and could only be open with the new Digivices they didn’t have, but… Overall, this second season was a lot of fun, and had a lot of the spirit of Adventure. It leaves me with such a bittersweet feeling, because it makes me want to be a part of that world.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or