Carnufex's avatar

• Joined Aug 14, 2022
  • ?

Re-Kan!

May 24, 2023

English Re-Kan! is one of these wholesome series where there is no bad guy: Hibiki can see ghosts and endeavors to help them, so the ghosts love her and strive to help her in turn, and her friends and family, albeit a bit surprised at first, are very supportive. It’s the anti-Mieruko-chan somehow. The general tone is humor, but it remains that Hibiki can see dead people, so obviously the series treads on the subject of losing precious people. The drawings are meh but it does the job. Français Re-Kan... See full review

Mieruko-chan

May 24, 2023

English The idea seemed really cool at first : a high school girl who can see ghosts and other kinds of monsters, but tries really hard to pretend she cannot, that’s an original take on the matter ! Moreover, Sora Amamiya is voicing the main girl, so I was totally sold. But it all gets ruined by the fact that the author is a massive perv (I checked, it’s the same in the manga) : this series is a whole slideshow of close-ups of the female characters’ boobs, asses, thighs, lips, etc. And how am I supposed to take a “horror” scene with a big bad ugly monster seriously... See full review

4.8/10 overall

My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex

Apr 30, 2023

English This first season is a rather close adaptation of volumes 1 to 4 of the light novel going by the same name. Except that, what makes all the salt of the novel, is the fact it is told from the point view of each of the protagonists, giving a lot of insight on their motivations, and making it hilarious to see how dishonest they are with themselves. The anime, on the other hand, has a much more classic narration, even though there are a couple of occurrences of inner dialogue, which tends to make the story... See full review

Suzume

Apr 29, 2023

English To say I was hyped is an understatement: I was one hour early on the first day it aired, in part because this was the only cinema 50 km around that aired it in Japanese without demanding a kidney in exchange.

And I wasn’t disappointed. I felt less invested in the story than with Kimi no na wa or Tenki no ko, because the stakes didn’t speak to me as much, but nonetheless, the two hours go by in a jiffy and I had a great time.

And the animation. Dammit the animation. It’s just as mind-bogglingly good as in Tenki no ko and I can’t get enough of... See full review

8.8/10 overall

Horimiya

Mar 8, 2023

English Horimiya follows the building and evolution of relationships, be they romantic or friendly, of a small dozen of highschoolers. All in all quite wholesome, and for once, you have an anime whose creators understand that romance doesn’t necessarily end with the confession, and that what comes afterwards in worth exploring too. The drawings are really nice, and the story worth following, even though the second half is less focused and might get a bit boring at times. Would have been an 8/10 with only the first half. Français Dans Horimiya, on suit la naissance et... See full review

I Can’t Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread

Feb 4, 2023

A direct sequel to the first season, so my review of it completely applies.

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying

Feb 4, 2023

This show is all nice and fluffy and cute, and it’s nice to see adult love, but… how do I put it? The original manga is a 4-koma, and the animators didn’t make much of an effort to adapt it into something fitting for animation. Every scene is over in a instant, and honestly, I often couldn’t even understand what was going on, which is understandably dissatisfying…

The Demon Girl Next Door 2

Jan 29, 2023

This second season, is a direct continuation of the first one, and everything I wrote previously still applies. Now, to be honest, this second season has basically become a yuri romance, and I’m totally hyped for it.

The Demon Girl Next Door

Jan 29, 2023

Lo and behold, the story of Shadow Mistress Yuuko, better known as Shamiko, an ordinary 15 year old girl who wakes up one morning with horns and a tail, to learn that she’s a demoness, that her family has been for centuries the object of a curse that forbids them to get out of dirt poor poverty, and that in order to break the curse, she must bathe her demonic idol-thingy in the blood of a magical girl. Problem is, Shamiko is way too wholesome to actually do any evil. Also problem, the only magical girl available goes to the same school as her and is an absolute powerhouse. So in order to help Shamiko... See full review

Ganbare, Douki-chan Special

Jan 21, 2023

This could just have been called episode 13 of the main series.

Ganbare, Douki-chan

Jan 21, 2023

This is pretty much the manga up to episode 52 (including the OVA), with the intermediary images added to make something actually animated. The animation isn’t as clean as the original illustrations, but does a better job at it than Tawawa on Monday. Also, just like in Miru Tights from the same author, each episode finishes on an original... See full review

Tawawa on Monday 2 Special

Jan 19, 2023

Totally identical to the main series, it could have been just included in the season.

Tawawa on Monday 2

Jan 19, 2023

Pretty much a natural continuation of season 1. The animation is different though, with much brighter colors and slightly better drawing.

Tawawa on Monday Specials

Jan 19, 2023

Totally identical to the main series, they could have been just included in the season.

Tawawa on Monday

Jan 19, 2023

I recommend you read my review of the original doujinshi, since most of it still applies here.

The anime is a rather faithful adaptation of the story parts of the manga, while also sometimes embroidering around the illustrations when no story exists. Sadly, while the animation is good, it clearly isn’t on par with the illustrations of the original, and on the other hand, it doesn’t have the intricate narrative of the ... See full review

Kiss x Sis TV

Jan 3, 2023

This is a hentai. And I mean it in the original Japanese sense of the word. I have no moral qualm against love between non-blood-related siblings, but these girls are total deviants, from the sisters who fight about who’ll steal their brother’s underwear, to the teacher who masturbates to the smell of the protagonist’s sweat, to the classmate with erotic flashbacks of when she peed herself on top of him. It gets even more creepy when you realize the story is basically about a 14 year old boy getting molested by a bunch of older people with the benediction of his parents. Also, without... See full review

In Another World With My Smartphone

Dec 31, 2022

Unbelievably stupid. The protagonist is as likeable, energetic and smart as a frying pan. It’s not enough that the isekaied dude has a cheat power, they kept piling more and more cheats until I gave up.

Noragami: Noraneko

Dec 31, 2022

OK, this was plain stupid. It’s not an actual video or whatnot, it’s an ad for the DVD.

0.1/10 overall

Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki OVA

Dec 31, 2022

OVAs tend to be silly stories involving the characters without much link with the main course of events, but it’s not the case here: both short stories explore the relationship between the main characters from the point of view of one of the supporting characters.

Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki

Dec 31, 2022

Watching the show made me want to read the novel, so I guess there’s no better way to compliment it. The anime is pretty faithful to the novel, so I’ll refer you to my review of it for a more detailed opinion on the story and characters.

The animation looks good, even if it lost the distinctive style of the novel’s illustrations, and also spends just a tad bit too much time on the girls thighs without any good reason. The music is pretty great, quite reminiscent to video game music, which is... See full review

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside

Dec 30, 2022

The first season of the anime covers volume 1 to 4 of the light novel. They managed to render quite well the slow pace of the novel, and all the diabetes-inducing moments between Red and Rit, without getting boring nor too cringe. The art style is cleaner than in the novel, but as a consequence more ordinary. Also, episode 9 forever!

Isekai Cheat Magician

Dec 30, 2022

Something felt off about this anime. The synopsis really piqued my interest, what with two overpowered isekai protagonists, who’ll hopefully work together as a couple. But then it went all… meeeeeeeeeh? The girl is OP, but the dude is way OPer, because reasons. The animation is borderline bad. Each episode begins in a way that leaves me wondering if I missed some part. Etc.

So I decided to read the reviews. Well, I’m not finishing episode 3, then…

Love After World Domination

Dec 30, 2022

Sorry, I just couldn’t. I was able to survive the diabetes from all the sappy moments of the manga, and I was excited to see Desumi’s boobs animated, especially with Mimimi’s voice, but the anime form was just too much for my sanity. :’-)

SPY x FAMILY: Part II

Dec 30, 2022

Most of my review about part 1 still holds true. I’d say that the lack of plot progression noted in part 1 is getting worse: this second part even has what any sane anime watcher dreads… filler episodes. More accurately, parts of episode, who just bring absolutely nothing, like the ten or so minutes about Franky’s love life.

Now the last episode seems to put things back on track, so let’s wait and see what the next season and film bring to the table. Hopefully Yor’s night-job gets better exploited, since she’s clearly the less developed of the three main... See full review

(K)NoW_NAME: GOOD DAY

Dec 30, 2022

Just take every ”Anya does the crazies” moment in the first part of the anime, strip them of the backgrounds and basically every other character, and make a huge mix of it all, with a background of nonsensical English lyrics in a questionable accent, and you’ve got this music video.

SPY x FAMILY

Dec 30, 2022

Is there even still something to say about SPY×FAMILY that hasn’t been said yet?

The series’ forte is undeniably it’s characters. Loid is as badass and stupidly overpowered as you would expect of the best spy in the world, yet meets his demise when trying to understand the tortuous mind of a child. Yor is crazy sexy in a wholesome×badass way, and her deranged sense of normalcy makes for a great source of comedy. And Anya… I don’t even like kids in real life, way too annoying and stupid for me, but I just can’t help and crack a laugh at her... See full review

Scum's Wish

Nov 11, 2022

The official pitch is sooooo misleading, dammit! This anime is basically a collection of intertwined super unhealthy relationships. Not a single one of these bonds is morally salvageable, and the ending has so much bitter in its bittersweet, that Domestic na Kanojo seems refreshing in comparison…

Don’t watch this anime if you want to experience something nice. On the other hand, if you like to hurt yourself with enough cringe to hold the next global lock-down, then go for it!

Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

Nov 3, 2022

What an incredible random discovery!

The animation is fantastic. Brightly colorful and very cartoonish, it feels more like a moving comics than Japanese animation, which is very refreshing in a world where a lot of anime look the same. The soundtrack also has a lot of variety, and sticks very well with what’s going on.

The story and characters aren’t the most original ever, but everything works well together, and there are enough distinctive qualities that you won’t feel like you’ve already watched that story elsewhere.

Zombie Land Saga Revenge

Nov 2, 2022

Being the follow-up of Zombieland Saga season 1, most of my previous review still holds true. This second season gives a lot of room to the backstories of the characters, and especially the motivations of madman impresario, which is interesting, but again doesn’t give me the excitement I had at the start of the series. The ending is quite good: it can either be the start of a full-on third season, or the very ironic permanent end, which is a feat in itself.

Zombie Land Saga

Nov 2, 2022

The promotional material for Zombieland Saga promised to revolutionize the zombie genre, and it sure did. Far from being scary monsters, the zombies here are cute anime girls brought back to life by a completely nuts impresario and genius make-up artist, who forces them to become idols so that they can Make Saga Great Again (at least economically…).

The first half is absolutely golden. We follow the girls while they struggle to adapt to the fact that they are now zombies, to learn their new job as idols and to overcome the fact that they come from wildly different eras. All the while being... See full review