CaptainSlow's avatar

• The Outback
  • Joined Nov 25, 2012

Phantom Thief Reinya

Apr 24, 2014

What I Liked: Good mixture of consistent, vibrant animation (that reminded me of Pop'n Music) and live action footage. Cute theme song. Brilliant and colourful character designs. Morning Musume member Reina Tanaka does a good job as the central character. Skits were energetic and well executed, even if they did mostly rely on simple sight gags. Manages to use cliches of the genre to its advantage by adding somewhat unpredictable new spins to them (e.g. Episode 8's plot).

What I Didn't: It didn't really end. There was just a "final" skit and that was that. The "I'll forgive that" running gag got a little stale.

Final Verdict: Short, sweet and full of enough energy to overpower a classroom of kindergarteners, Phantom Thief Reinya is a fast-paced and silly romp about a catgirl thief with a love of golden foodstuffs and the hapless detectives who keep trying to catch her. With colourful and consistent animation and a cute theme song, it's a good little timewaster for someone who wants a bit of frivolous fun.