Buckylass's avatar

• Joined Jul 3, 2020
  • ? / F

Nineteen 19

Aug 14, 2022

This was a really cute little OVA. Despite being released in 1990, the whole feel is like an epitomization of the 80s with its neon and overt consumerism.

The main character is a young 19yo boy, still in highschool, coming across his childhood crush at a nightclub one night. He wishes to rekindle his affections with the girl after finding out she broke up with her highschool sweetheart. This OVA does an amazing job evoking the essence of a summer fling. The OVA doesn't have a clear audience which I really enjoyed, moreso just directed at people that had school crushes and fleeting romances. I thought it might be more directed at a male audience due to the protaganist choice and how the only female character is the love interest, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that wasn't true. There wasn't much fanservice either which helped serve the neutrality.

The animation was quite pleasant and Koichi Chigara's direction was strong with some really well thought out shots. There were 2 cool segments that were more abstract--basically acting as montages. The visuals did a great job at emphasizing negative space as well, more prominently in the opening scenes. Overall, the visuals are strong and somewhat experimental so if you enjoy interesting visuals I suggest to check it out.

Here are 3 shots that I liked; I don't normally take screens so they aren't varied but still: https://imgur.com/a/3BuNsZM

The characters weren't too developed, but they were well done considering the time span. I think the music choices complimented the mood--I really loved the Boys insert song for some reason.

8/10 its not the best OVA you'll watch but it certainly is enjoyable if you're looking for something more casual. I think the majority of its appeal derives from the nostalgia factor.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or