BlueCotten's avatar

BlueCotten

• you don't need to know
  • Joined Nov 23, 2016

Devilman: Crybaby

Jan 9, 2018

(spoilers, kinda)

(this is my first review, also sorry for any grammer mistakes)

I've got to be honest this show isn't that great. Personally I thought it was an interesting idea, but it just falls on it's face. Theres no way you could have told this story in just 10 episodes and made it good. It just kinda feels like someone gave the show an R rating before production even started so some of the scenes with nudity feel just kinda added in. Anyway those are just nickpicks now lets start.

The story I find was quiet intriguing at first. I'm a sucker for anything that might have Catholic mythology mixed in with the plot. (I do realize that this is a remake and I haven't seen the original so I won't be comparing the two) The first half I found was entertaining as it drew me in, but as more time progressed I found that the story became more and more jumbled. Non of the plot twisted suprised me and as time went on I cared less and less adout the characters. In some episodes almost nothing would happend and then almost all the relevant characters died in the span of two episodes. I had just become so numb by the end of it that I didn't even care when the main character died. Although I thought that some of the ideas were exacuted alright it wasn't enough it keep me interested.

The opening of this show is amazing and it always got me in a good mood before the episode. The music is great really sticks out

The fights scenes are really wear the animation shines. I found them nice and snappy, but I would soon realize why that was. Almost all of the other normal scenes really cut corners with the animation and its pretty noticeable. Limbs would be unproportional to the body, sometimes it would look choppy, perspective shots were pourly done, and don't even get me started on the running animations. There were times when I would be laughing so hard at the animation that I missed some of the plot. I do give it one thing it was very entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Characters range to being mildly interesting to down right annoying. The ones that annoyed me the most were the rappers and the little brother. All the others are alright, though I never really got attached any of them do to how little sceen time they got. Also I found that they would sometimes acts unnaturally or wouldn't have strange reacations.

Overall despite everything I think the shows true fault is its 10 episodes. It left next to no time to really flesh out most of the supporting cast, the story started to get confusing toward the end with it trying to cram everthing in and most of all the fights were very short only really lasting 4 to 6 minuets. I really feel like this could have been better with a few more episodes to work out its problems. I did however really enjoy show even with its faults. I will certainly go and check out the original because of this show.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or