Blonche's avatar

Blonche

• Joined Feb 4, 2015

Samurai Champloo

Nov 6, 2019

Disclaimer: I dropped this anime at episode 18. It became boring so I stopped. Sorry. I feel that everyone is gonna hate me for this review now...

Story and characters:

Well, this is an episodic anime so the story is simple. Jin, Mugen and Fuu travel Japan in search for the samurai who smells like sunflowers. Every episode is a different journey. The only fact that I liked is that this anime focuses a lot on character development (mostly Jin though...) There are lots of historical references but unless you already have some previous knowledge, you won't notice it at all. If you don't like episodic anime (like me) this anime is not for you.

Also, this anime TRIED HARD on comedy, but I felt it to forced.

Animation:

When I first saw this anime I thought the battle scenes were well made. When an encounter occurs the music and pace change. But once I got to episode 10, I got used to it, so it kinda lost all spark it had before. The rest is just a realistic animation of japanese society in the Edo era. There are no animation mistakes but it still felt a little plain for me.

Sound:

Ok, so this is it's main strength. I decided to watch this anime because EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET was praising the Nujabes (a hip hop composer who died in a car crash). And don't get wrong, the music was superb, but, I think the music is more of a stand alone. There are animes were the music is linked to a strong memory which makes the music better. But, this wasn't the case. My favorite tracks of this anime are defininetly it's ending and "Who's theme". If you don't like hip hop I don't think this anime is for you though. This actually shows that if it wasn't for the music maybe this anime wouldn't have been succesful...

Overall:

Give this anime a chance but if you start losing interest just drop it. This isn't an anime for everyone but if you liked the music you should check out the OST in YouTube or listen all of Nujabes albums.

4.5/10 overall