BigDumbOhFace's avatar

BigDumbOhFace

• New York City
  • Joined Sep 23, 2014
  • ?

I came across this while being bored and having not many nice anime's too watch.  So I hit YouTube to look for some and came across a "Top 10 Comedy Anime" video.  While this show wasn't on the list, I saw a comment that mentioned it.  The replies and were nothing but high praise for the show and that was enough for me to give it a try.

Stoy:

If you're looking for high drama, love triangles, and a serious plot then you're at the wrong place.  Seinfeld is called, "The show about nothing."  That's basically what this is.  It's a sketch comedy and pretty much diary entries.  There is no plot, just whacky times.  At first I got kind of annoyed but I accepted this format and loved it.  With no story, it makes me feel like I can actually rewatch it and not be spoiled.  Huge bonus.

Nothing special but nothing bad.  Everything is really smooth.  Colors look great as well.  If anything, that's what you kind of expect with something so ordinary with a title of "Daily Lives of High School Boys".  One major annoyance is that not every character has a face.  It's really annoying having someone talk and not see their face.  Although I love this show, this is one sin that cannot be forgiven.  I mean even many recurring characters don't have faces.  Sure it's okay for just simple one off characters.  However, it's mostly characters that show up a handful of times.  I mean at least have some basic models.  Really lazy, IMO.

Voice actors were great.  The range they have is amazing.  They can go from deep and serious tones to something light and humerous.  The opening and ending songs are great to listen to.  Both songs are a fun contrast.  The opening is fast-paced and dramatic while the ending is silly.  The opening's dramatic feel sets you in the mood for something just as dramatic only for you to find out the show is just Daily Life stuff.  The ending is light-hearted, silly, and funny which is what the show does feel like.

They're all amazing and by far the best thing about the show.  Everyone brings in their own sense of humor to the show.  Not much to talk about in terms of development because there is none.  There's no need or reason for them to improve.  It's totally fine by me given that it's a sketch comedy.  However, they really grew on me.

Overall

One of the best animes I've ever watch.  Despite no plot and decent animations, there's something that makes me loves this show.  Great characters can really make or break a show.  It makes me wish that I could redo high school and go with guys like them.  The best way to describe the comedy is awkward comedy, which I think is the funniest, and slapstick.  Slapstick tends to be cheap humor but is done in appropriate levels here.  If you want something really hilarious then this should be at the top of your list.  Although it's called "Daily Lives" it's nothing close to ordinary.