BeeBoe's avatar

BeeBoe

• Joined Aug 16, 2014
  • 29

Gonna keep this spoil free. Typically, I'm not a huge fan of the Slice of life genre. I can't remember why I even started to watch this anime in the first place since it's usually something I wouldn't go near. But I'm very glad I did.

To say that  I really enjoyed this anime means a lot since by my typical tastes, I shouldn't have. I watched the dubbed version so I can not speak on the original with subbed.

The first thing that I think of in regard to this anime is the music. They did a great job filling that garage punk rock sound and really brought me back to the days of the 90's. The music writen by the characters were actually very entertaining to listen to and on occasion I still listen to it.

The story revolves around their band trying to make it big and we follow them as they grow together musically. You get a feel for their struggle and passion in what they are doing and you can't help but root for them the entire way.

I liked that there was no supernatural or magical element to this anime. In my experience, even the more down to earth anime like to throw that in somewhere. The story felt real the whole way through as if it followed the life and growth of a real band.

The characters had a nice mix of personalities between them. Nothing felt too over the top dramatically which seems to be a popular theme in this genre.

My problems with the anime are pretty minor; with one being the relationship between yukio and maho. But to be completely honest, that really stems from my general dislike of this kind of genre. Childish love drama really doesn't interest me. I felt it took away from the real story which was the growth of the band and their struggles as a whole.

The other issues really are minor and forgettable compared to the whole of the anime. After watching this anime I was left with the strong desire to learn how to play the guitar. That is one reason why I consider this such a good anime. I don't too often leave an anime with a desire or inspiration to follow. It was able to move me and intice me enough to have that urge to buy a guitar and fail at playing it. I still have that desire even so long after watching (2-ish years). That feeling along with my thorough enjoyment of the music they played is the foundation of my reasoning behind my impression and review of it.

Even if this originally didn't seem like something you would like; give it a shot like I did. You might end up surprised.