Backlogsolong's avatar

Backlogsolong

• Joined Mar 10, 2023
  • ? / F

Cherry Magic! is perhaps my favorite romance anime this season. I was hesitant to start this one at first because of the admittedly rather goofy title. The title itself is a bit misleadng. The protagonist does not become a wizard per se, as his only power is being a telepath. This is also not an erotic title as it's more of a romantic comedy with minimal drama, which gets resolved in a natural way without dragging out too much.

~ Story ~

As the title bluntly puts, the protagonist, Kiyoshi Adachi, becomes a telepath after his 30th birthday due to being a virgin. Adachi's telepathy is more of a plot device but results in many hilarious and surprisingly romantic and heartwarming moments. Despite what the title suggests, the narrative never really puts down or degrades, nor does it glamorize Adachi's virginity or lack of experience.

Back to the actual story, the romantic feelings (at least on Kurosawa's side) are shown effective immediately. When Adachi reads Kurosawa's mind, he quickly realizes the the more popular and sociable dude has a huge crush on him. While there are some genuinely strange thoughts going on in Kurosawa's mind, he never does anything to make Adachi uncomfortable and is entirely respectful of his boundaries.

The two of them begin seeing each other more often and become friends. The romantic progression feels rather well-paced as the two of them do get together before the end of the season. However, it's not rushed and they take it a bit slow as they're given time to communicate the misunderstandings and insecurities between them.

The season hasn't actually ended yet, but I do hope this one receives a season two. It's a rather wholesome and light watch inbetween denser and heavier storylines. If you're a fan of romance where they don't get together too quick or at the very ending, then this one is worh a shot watching.

~ Animation & Sound ~

The animation had me wary at first which is likely because I'm not a huge fan of the artstyle. The animation isn't of poor quality per se but it's not my favorite either. However, that does seem to be the case for a lot of BL anime, at least the ones I've seen. Eeven so, I still find the anime worth watching regardless. From what I saw in the manga, the art looks good there and I plan on reading it too. 💙

The sound in this anime is rather good. The actual BGM isn't on YouTube or Spotify from what I've seen so I can't really comment on it. The OP and ED songs, particularly the latter, are rather catchy however in my opinion. I'm especially fond of the fact that the main leads' voice actors sung the song.

~ Characters ~

The characters in this anime are the highlight of this series as they're both rather endearing and genuinely well-written characters. They're not super well-rounded, but they have their own nuances and complexities for a genre that's relatively light.

Adachi is plagued by insecurities which, even with his powers, gets in the way of his happiness sometimes. This can be frustrating, but I think it's realistic to his character. And a rather grounded portrayal of what it would like to read minds in a contemporary setting. For those reasons, I really appreciate Adachi's characterization.

Kurosawa is also a rather well-done love interest. Even though we can read his mind, there's still an air of mystery around him even though we already know he's down horrendously for Adachi. And, like his crush, he also secretly deals with insecurities of his own particularly regarding their relationship. While his love is passionate, he's rather considerate of Adachi in ways that are rather adorable.

The side couple, Masato Tsuge and Minato Wataya, are also pretty cute. They have a similar thing going on with the mind-reading thing. I saw some people saying that it felt redundant. But, personally, I think it's somewhat interesting to see a different take on that same idea. Especially because the way they met is rather different. And they don't take up an overabundant amount of screentime from the main pairing. I doubt I'll like them as much as Adachi x Kurosawa, but they're pretty cute. I like that they bond over a cat as a cat lover myself.

~ Overall ~

This was my second BL anime although this one is significantly more lighthearted than Given was. Even so, I've really been enjoying these ones and will definitely be checking out the manga of Cherry Magic. I do hope this one gets a second season and maybe even a dub. I wholeheartedly recommend this anime to those who prefer healthy relationships in their romances. The relationships are super cute and it's just good vibes all around.

8.5/10 characters

You must be logged in to leave comments. or