AustinDR's avatar

AustinDR

• Joined Aug 10, 2017
  • 22

Alright....much like the anime adaptation of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I did...somewhat like the anime adaptation of WATATEN! even though for the most part it was bland and a dime a dozen to anime series that boast a similar premise. So...I did the same for WATATEN. It honestly was terrible in every single way.

For one, the illusrations were a pain to look like. At least with the anime they made it to where the characters all seemed lively and vivid in how they were represented. One of the first things to take note of is head proportions. In some early illustrations of the manga, the heads looked freakishly huge with their eyes being as big as dinnerplates. It...really creates an uncanny feel to the art style that unnerves me. Take how Miyako is represented in the manga. She looks incredibly creepy and more upfront about being a pedophile, or at least having pedophilic leanings. While the illustrations get better as the manga continues onward, it suffers from being average.

The story, well, it's exactly the same. However, what makes the way the story is depicted here different from the anime is that it gets painfully boring. While it is an uneventful slice of life manga, there isn't much to keep one interested enough into learning what would happen next. It lacks energy in comparison to its anime adaptation.

Lastly the characters. I would at least give the anime some credit that they did make the characters slightly more interesting which is more than what I can say about the manga. Miyako is probably one of the worst characters in the manga. Her attraction towards Hana was already questionable in the manga, but here, it is more pronounced and genuinely disturbing. The illustrations of the manga don't do her any better. Ultimately what made the characters forgettable in the manga is the lack of energy. The anime adaptation does a good job with making the characters seem more realistic and two-dimensional. Here, they come off as not even bland. They transcend being bland and only exist at the bottom of the barrel.

2.3/10 overall