ACrankyOldMan's avatar

ACrankyOldMan

• Auckland, New Zealand
  • Joined Mar 14, 2018

Even though a lot of the 2.0 story still resembles the original TV-series story, the puzzle pieces have been placed in different positions, which changes the whole flow of the movie. Where the TV-series went in a straight line, this movie really takes a sharp right.

Some story elements have been completely reworked, elements of the story have been moved around to help the shorter format compared to the TV-series, tons of new world elements have been added to make it all feel more alive and, more importantly, the story becomes unpredictable even though it all feels so familiar.

There are some pretty massive changes to the story in regard to our 2 poster girls where Asuka's story really feels like a totally different experience and Rei is given much more room to grow as a human. We're also introduced to a new character by the name of Mari, a rather energetic but rather difficult to understand personality, who feels a bit out of place at first but slowly becomes part of the team and its story.

If there is any real complaint about this movie then it'd be Shinji whose emotions don't really seem to impact us the same way as they did before.