0oDaano0's avatar

• Joined Apr 9, 2013
  • ?

One-Punch Man

Dec 30, 2015

One Punch Man. The name kind of says it all, I expected little of an anime hyped on 9gag about an OP guy. I got even less after watching 12/12 eps, the special and backstory about the suit.

The story -what story?- is about a bored youngster who becomes a hero to enjoy himself a bit. He follows this standard training schedule and becomes super-strong. A strong and less blunt guy starts following him to get to the secret of the power but there's no secret. He is just OP and destroys everything in one punch except PLOTTWIST the alien in the last ep, he needs a few more weak punches and then one  'serious' one. Nothing serious if you ask me.

The animation: In the first episode I got annoyed by the inconsistent face of Saitama, our protagonist. Yes I know anime has different physics and the 'overly cool drawn face' and 'blunt face' eye differences are done very nicely but how Saitama's very head changes shape for a few seconds doesn't make any sense to me.
In the fights the camera angles change too often making it impossible to follow what the heck is happening too often.

For the rest the animation is VERY WELL DONE! kuddo's to Mad. Facial expressions, bodily parts, background (city, water, sky) are very nice which is to be expected in 2015. Also the coloring is done as it should be. I have not read the anime but I read in the comments that the drawing style is very close to the anime so fans would expect no less of it. But I was amazed here.

The sound: High budget, 2015, overhyped before airing. So the sound is very good. The city has it's noises, the tv produces sound, even when Saitama is talking/thinking. There's a clear difference in thinking and talking and the acting sounds believable to me. I've heard way worse and little better so that's why I rate it quite high. Kuddo's again.

Characters: Saitama is blunt, OP and doesn't make sense to me. Genos is likable to me but also way to dense and further there's only the hero on the bycicle whose name cannot be remembered by anyone probably. Oh, I forgot, there's also this A rank nr1 guy who is extremely narcistic and annoys the crap out of me.

No character development so a 3/10 is my max for this.

Overall Cool graphics and good sound, bad story, no development, empty vessels with 1 state of being as characters.

For more plotholes & fights without any deeper meaning I recommend Dragonball, Ixion Saga DT or any random fight series with less than 2/5 stars.
It tries to be deep at some points which doesn't fool me. It takes way itself too serious to last 12 eps, giving it nothing to go on with for a second season. 0/10 for second season or rewatchability for you get exactly the same every episode already.

thor123 Dec 30, 2015

> I expected little of an anime hyped on 9gag about an OP guy

Just like how I expected little of a review written by someone who actually goes to 9gag, but w/e

>In the first episode I got annoyed by the inconsistent face of Saitama, our protagonist. Yes I know anime has different physics and the 'overly cool drawn face' and 'blunt face' eye differences are done very nicely but how Saitama's very head changes shape for a few seconds doesn't make any sense to me.

it's called comedy, you should look it up sometime

>In the fights the camera angles change too often making it impossible to follow what the heck is happening too often

I have no idea where your problems are. What scenes are hard to follow for you?

>For the rest the animation is VERY WELL DONE! kuddo's to Mad. Facial expressions, bodily parts, background (city, water, sky) are very nice which is to be expected in 2015

Toei tends to disagree...

>Saitama is blunt, OP and doesn't make sense to me.

Dude, that's the entire point of his character. It's called a parody for a reason you know.

>further there's only the hero on the bycicle whose name cannot be remembered by anyone probably

You have a very bad memoryHe's one of the most popular characters of the series

>It takes way itself too serious to last 12 eps, giving it nothing to go on with for a second season

yeah, you really have no idea what you're talking about

btw, it's kudos, not "kuddo's"