Yuusha Party wo Tsuihou Sareta Hakuma Doushi, S Rank Boukensha ni Hirowareru - Reviews

Alt title: White Magician Exiled From the Hero Party, Picked Up by S-Rank Adventurer

Yuusha Party wo Tsuihou Sareta Hakuma Doushi, S Rank Boukensha ni Hirowareru
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Jan 8, 2022

Drawing monster hordes (and multiple times at that) was certainly an ambitious choice for an artist who's so clearly inept at drawing monsters. I don't think any of the monsters looked good, but the wolves and other snouted beasts looked so atrocious that it was almost comical. Perhaps the artist was hoping that the anatomical dorpiness of the creatures would be less noticeable if each individual was somehow lost in the crowd, but it ended up backfiring and just creating a whole crowd full of badly drawna fauna. The way the humans are drawn is also pretty stiff and awkward.

The basic idea--of an overpowered character who thinks fe is underpowered--has the opportunity to be funny because of the inherent disconnect between what we readers know to be true and what the character thinks to be true, though I don't know if there're enough jokes in that to last for very long. And the execution within this manga specifically of humorous moments isn't all that great. It's okay, but no where near strong enough to evoke any sort of chuckle or proto-laugh from me.

I can appreciate seeing the different types of support magic which Lloyd uses and the strategic execution of those magics. But I wish Lloyd's limitations and weaknesses were emphasized more (since that would make fem a more well-rounded character) or at the very least that we could see fem growing in some way. I also don't care for the way Merlin seems to have a crush on Lloyd and I have a bad feeling that Lloyd is going to end up being the hub of a harem.

[Reviewed at chapter 10]