Who Can Define Popularity? - Reviews

Alt title: Ingineun Mueonga Jalmotdoeeotda

Who Can Define Popularity?
upsidepenguin's avatar
Dec 4, 2021

I'm happy to commemorate my 100th review (!) with such a good webtoon.

The relationships between characters, whether romantic or friendship, in the webtoon is written really well. The character dynamics felt very natural and wholesome. The communication and the trust characters place in each other prevent stupid drama - yay, I got no anxiety while reading :)

From the synopsis, I was expecting rivals to lovers, like two narcissists battling it out. But it turned out Daun (ML) developed feelings for MC first, and the rivalry was all in MC's head. He does develop quickly from his rivalry mindset though. Their interactions are really sweet.

After their beginning, they spend time to get to know each other and the relationship develops really well. It was just the beginning that felt a bit eh. I'm a person that wants a specific reason for liking someone. While the webtoon does explain why ML developed feelings for MC later on, it wasn't explained in the beginning so I didn't quite root for their relationship the first few chapters. Felt a bit like one-sided feelings from ML at first lol. I'm not summarising here because the period of their beginning is quite short - about the first 10 chapters.

Don't worry about the love triangle. I hate love triangles, but the one written here was not anxiety-inducing in any way. It's also the first time I've seen a love triangle where the guy (ML) and girl (their genuine friend) likes a guy (MC). It's clear ML and MC like each other, and the girl accepts it and supports them fully.

There are conflicts and they are resolved nicely. I feel satisfied with the character development gained from the conflict, and I also enjoyed the metaphorical bitch-slapping of the antagonists.

The art is quite nice, though it could be polished more. There are a few panels where the artist really makes an effort to make the characters *glow*, and I enjoy those the most.

It's an enjoyable webtoon. I recommend you read it.

Potatoes3's avatar
Mar 6, 2024

This was such a good story, I actually can't even with it!! I strong crave for more even though that's not gonna happen.

This story was about a guy who used to be fat, turned hot and a narcissist. And it's a beautiful piece of work. I love the characters and the dynamics. Everything is perfect. Everything.

ActualLee's avatar
Dec 23, 2023

Very cliche storyline and actions. Lightly comedic. Not my thing, felt like a repackaged version of a million other stories out there. The women are drawn to look the same way as men which bothered me. Felt like it was written by a women for women who fetishizes gay relationships and obsess over them. Consensual so it could be worse.

c1verangel's avatar
Nov 29, 2023

i love this story with all my heart <3

IN SHORT:

- the story was perfectly executed

- the main couple is lovely and really cozy, for lack of better words

- the ending message is clear and quite inspiring.

IN DETAIL (NO SPOILES):

siwon and daun are wonderfully written; as a reader you feel like you grow alongside them, and can tell they love and trust each other like no other.

and, thanks to this, the story's development feels extremely natural: we start with a very original set up for a romcom — popular guy that had to put effort to be handsome feels threaten by naturally pretty boy — but we end up with the main characters helping each other heal from childhood wounds; is a radical change of genre that feels natural by the way the author handled it.

the side characters are also very three dimensional, i enjoyed dahyun's cousin story the most and even if i found the glasses guy quite a stubborn guy, i still could empathize with him.

the art style is quite unique for a manwha, which i find refreshing.

CONCLUSION: this manhwa is absolutely worth the read.

siwon and daun are the loveliest couple i have ever read, and i wish we could've see more of them as office workers 。⁠:゚⁠(⁠;⁠´⁠∩⁠`⁠;⁠)゚⁠:⁠。

9.5/10 art
khokhooo's avatar
Mar 10, 2024

Amazing plot, amazing art, amazing characters. This manhwa has all my love