Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! - Reviews

Alt title: Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Apr 17, 2020

Overall, there is very little worthwhile about this manga. Especially in the beginning, there is minimal connective tissue between chapters and they largely act as standalone scenes showing off the pre-dating interplay between the two main characters. Sakurai will often prioritize personal convenience or playing video games over socializing with others. He's athletic and good-looking (even though he has a bit of a scary face) and can also be very polite and considerate. Uzaki is his short kouhai with boobs so big they rest on tabletops when she's sitting. She's inconsiderate, intrusive, and a bit sadistic--she enjoys pushing herself into Sakurai's life and seeing him squirm. Ami is Sakurai's coworker who, along with her father and Sakaki, enjoys watching the main couple's awkward dynamic and tries to push them together. This group of people trying to push them together are reflections of how the author wants us readers to be reacting to the main couple. But the problem is that their sentiments don't actually always reflect how readers will react. For example, in chapter twenty, this group acts as though the main couple is super unpredictable and that it's very exciting just waiting to see what they'll do next. The author probably wishes that were the case, but at least for me, they actually are more often generic and predictable. Which is why I rate the manga so low.

In fact, for the first 23 chapters, I would rate it even lower--as a 2/10. But then in chapter 24, something changes: we are introduced to Uzaki's mom, Tsuki, and her misunderstandings about what's going on. Throughout the manga, there are several instances of them saying things in such a way that it can lead to misunderstandings, but previously no one really took the misunderstandings to heart so they had much less comedic value. But I definitely enjoyed the ongoing jokes involving Tsuki and it looks like they're going to expand this joke to involve the father, Fuji, also missing information. Other than that, the only scenes I actually found funny were the hedge scene in chapter six and the headshots in chapter 36.

[Reviewed at chapter 50]