Tying the Knot with an Amagami Sister - Reviews

Alt title: Amagami-san Chi no Enmusubi

Tying the Knot with an Amagami Sister
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Jul 18, 2021

Read my review on the pilot chapter that led into this series, as much of what I said about that still holds true for the series. The first chapter is basically just a rehash of the one shot, though they did do a clever thing where they included intentional alterations in such a way that they came across as inside jokes that referred back to the one shot. It made a retelling still feel marginally fresh. They have tried to expand the personalities of the girls some, and that definitely helps make the manga a bit better, but the relationships still aren't clicking with me just yet. Up until the sequence that occurred at the end of chapter five, I had felt this series was trite and predictable. But that bit of foreshadowing(?) in that chapter altered my perception and made me start paying attention to Uryuu's interactions with all three girls (instead of just assuming that the tsundere was the only one who had a chance), and I appreciate that. I also thought that the festival storyline was okay, but maybe a bit too quickly resolved. The manga has sorta been split into sections, with some growth in the relationship with each of the girls or some new insight into their personalities being included in each section. I would label the current section the "kissing section," I guess. The artwork includes some lovely two-page spreads and detailed pictures of these cute girls, but it also includes a lot of stiff faces and stuff in the more functional, less eye-candy panels.

I don't like how this series portrays lying to children and perpetuating their delusional superstitions and false hopes as a positive thing. Basically, I don't like how it portrays spirituality and religious belief as worthwhile, when they should be seen as impediments to people being able to properly face reality. There can be value in ritualistically venting your worries and frustrations (since it can help you cope), but there isn't any value in thinking those rituals will magically effect change in the world.

[Reviewed at chapter 12]

Dadiii's avatar
Jan 12, 2022

Basically what it's like if Quintessential Quintuplets and TenPuru had a child.