Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms - Reviews

Alt title: Yunagi no Machi Sakura no Kuni

Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
Misoony's avatar
May 9, 2024

This is one of those stories that has sort of a positive feeling to it that's embedded with a lot of sadness, if that makes any sense. It was a sad yet meaningful read.

The story starts out taking place during the end of World War Two, ten years after the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. It's a sad, devastating time. Yet the main character tries her best to remain positive and continue on with life. Despite this, she still has to face all the issues the bomb has caused. She gets flashbacks to the horrifying sights she's seen and has to deal with the physical impacts of the radiation. It's sad to see her try so hard to have hope.

From here, the story proceeds to now, where things are more bittersweet. The world is moving on, yet the aftermath of the bomb lingers. The story showed different people going about their lives, remembering what has happened and moving on. It's heartwarming yet saddening at the same time.

Aside from the story which was rather short, I liked the art. This is an older manga, so the style is pretty different, but I thought it looked nice and suited the story well.

I would recommend this as a short read if you're interested in history or want to read something melancholy.

7.5/10 story
7.5/10 art
04TJ's avatar
Jul 13, 2021

This story starts with a quite sad expect of war and lose.... To sadness holding on to a person & remorse.... Slowly leading to a better and happy end.

The chapter looked as of different story, but in reality were different parts of a story of life going on. It left a good effect on me as to it felt like I was watching a documentary of someone's life.

War is sad and the lose of the loved left to pain which was carried on to the day, show the connection in the last. All added up to on point and left a happy but wish thoughts.

Overall it was quite good for being a short story, which described a lot in a short time or chapter ヾ(^-^)ノ. But for being short it gave of different emotions and the joy of tomorrow.