This Sword Deity Refuses to Be a Freeloader - Reviews

Alt titles: Ben Jian Xian Jue Bu Chi Ruan Fan, Sword King In A Women's World

This Sword Deity Refuses to Be a Freeloader
Manthika's avatar
Mar 26, 2020

An arguably humorous gender role commentary by a man who is disgusted by dominant women who think they’re better than men- but seems to think that it’s perfectly fine for men to be better than women.  Looking at the manhua from a distance, it’s a perfect way to show misogynists, very subtly, why they’re wrong.  “Look at this?  Does this bother you?  Does the oppression based off of gender bother you?  Then, if it does, it’s wrong for men to do it to women too, isn’t it?”  Because basically all the women are misandrists.

A surprising find, coming from the misogynistic China, though the main character is still just like any ‘gotta be the very best’ man you can expect in cultivation manhuas.  The gender-swap gimmick isn’t enough to carry the whole manhua, however, especially as the main character’s ‘chosen women’ can’t seem to hold onto the world’s rules and go OOC very quickly and become mainstream ‘girly’ due to… idk, proximity to manliness?  It’s some high-level stupid misogyny, honestly.

thor123's avatar
May 11, 2020

I read this up till chapter 80, and I have no idea why I stuck with it for this long... it's pretty shit tbh.

Chu Qin, a martial artist of over 300 years old tries to go to some kind of heavenly realm but instead ends up turning back time on his body and entering another world, turning him into his 17-year old self in a world where women are physically stronger than men, openly chase after men, and do other things that are currently linked to male stereotypes.

It's quite a pity that we don't get more of the story of Chu Qin's journey before he ended up in this alternate earth, because what we get is quite lame. While the idea of the gender reversed world is interesting (because how would someone who is used to our world react to that?), the execution is just really bad. Some problems I have with it ((non-exhaustive list):

- the gender discrimination is way overdone, to the point that apparently men don't typically go to college, and absolutely never go to a decent university if they actually do go. As the reverse is obviously also very normal in our world.

- In this world, women chase after men. Which apparently includes that they challenge men to games/fights/sports/whatever and force them to date the woman if they lose. As the reverse is obviously also very normal in our world.

- Any girl who talks to our MC for 5 minutes, instantly falls in love and turns into a shy girl like you'd see in any other harem comic...

Other problems I have with this manhua include lame dialogue (sadly all too prevalent among these low-effort Chinese comics), boring fights and practically every character being part of an important/rich family (which is immediately the only important trait you'll ever need to remember for any of them). Chu Qin is also a very annoying hypocritical character.

One part about the "gender role reversal" idea that was actually handled well was the explanation: the idea of "cultivation" being different for men and women is actually quite interesting.

Art

Full colour but nothing special. The artist seems only capable of drawing cute girls to a decent degree, but everything else (including battles) looks meh.

Overall

I have no idea why I read so much of this manhua. Just skip it, there is definitely a ton of better stuff out there.

KingSalazar's avatar
Nov 8, 2020

Okay, it looks like there are only people who hate this manhua, so am I going to come and ... defend him? well, not exactly, you will understand.

This manhua is extremely generic, there is nothing that stands out from him, the premise is good, but the story is very boring and generic ... but this manhua is not bad, he is also not good, he is just average. I still warn you that if you are a feminist and extremist woman, you better not even read this because the MC is not very developed, imagine the heroines, they are just there to enter the MC's harem, so if you like empowerment, don't even look .

peekachu's avatar
Oct 14, 2021

this manhwa just killed my brain cells. In initial chapters, i read because i thought concept of reverse world might be interresting. But then, the story really takes shitty turns. People are doing anything. mc is too much of a goody-shoes. Just do your brain a favor and don't read it.

Iukku's avatar
Nov 2, 2021

It is not that good if your interested in a martial arts manga, this is more of an harem and you should not read it if you dont like weakish characters and not a lot of combat. I recommend this for people who like harem with action.