The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic - Reviews

Alt title: Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata: Senjou wo Kakeru Kaifuku Youin

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
May 22, 2020

The first five chapters are a hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable intro to the story deserving of a 10/10 rating. We see the hellish training that Usato is subjected to by Rose, based on the simple idea that healing mages are capable of healing their own bodies which means they are capable of going through a much more strenuous and damaging regimen than most people could handle. It's hilarious seeing Usato's mind breaking as fe's basically subjected to torture and as feir physical capabilities become more and more inhuman. Feir sense of what's normal has been warped and even though fe knows that fe's gone through intense training, fe doesn't seem willing to process just how ridiculous and abnormal it truly is. Several times, it's emphasized how glad Rose is to have found Usato--someone who has both a capable physical body and a tenacious spirit, who fe can trust to not die on the battlefield.

I don't really like Bluey. And in some ways, the introduction of Bluey as a character marks the transition of this manga from an excellent story to a solidly good story. The original novelty has worn off, which I think was a large part of what made its beginning so great. After the initial intro, there is more training and even a battle where we see the healing mages in action. Then we get into what will be likely be the longterm plot: Usato and the heroes will go to deliver letters to various other countries asking them to be their allies in the inevitable war against the demon king and feir forces. First, they go to Luqvis Magic Academy (ch. 17-27) where there is a bit of a Karate Kid type plot. During their travels, they will enter villages and cities which will each have unique problems they can face. This will allow the story to have a series of largely unrelated side stories which are connected together by the goal of trying to gather allies for a large fight. It's a pretty decent set-up. Also, they'll probably have Usato continue to experiment with healing magic and how fe can apply it in new and different ways that healing magic isn't supposed to be used. For example: fe punches people while simultaneously healing them, fe blinds opponents with a flash of light from the release of feir healing magic, and fe is in the process of developing a way to throw a ball of healing magic for a ranged attack.

[Reviewed at chapter 31]

Ponyo18's avatar
Jun 16, 2020

A hilarious, interesting manga about a boy who is accidentally summoned with two other people. He discovers that he is a healer and is trained to not only heal but is also taught to fight. My only complaint about this manga is that the main character, Usato, talks too much during battles and says corny lines (cringe-worthy 👍).

LonCem's avatar
Mar 30, 2020

I like this story a lot, for many reasons. It's a little more light-hearted than I was expecting, but it delivers a pretty good story.

I loved the story in the beginning. I thought it was weird, because it was different, but I just kept reading until I'd read all available chapters. I found it very interesting, and although the world building was not excellent, it was solid and I was able to understand the world's structure fairly simply. I found it to be a little slower later on, but I'm willing to be patient.

The art is pretty standard. It's not gorgeous, but it's not horrible either. It gets the point across.

As for characters, the main character is a little lukewarm, and dare I say...basic...but he's written fairly well, so I was able to connect with him pretty well. The best part of this series is that it has a genuinely strong female character. Physically strong female characters show up all the time in manga, but they're usually total pervs or wimps (there's nothing wrong with those things, exactly, except that it's lame and boring), but this series has the most badass woman I've seen in an Isekai (so far...). She's not only physically strong, she's mentally strong, and although she has her moments of emotional weakness, those just make her even more badass. The author put a fair amount of effort into the background characters, too, so they all have distinct personalities.

Overall, I enjoy this manga a lot. It's pretty unique (in my opinion. Please recommend similar stories if you disagree).

8.7/10 story
RoadKill57's avatar
Aug 2, 2023

This is a really funny manga. Its full of action, comedy, and drama but I had to drop around chapter 21.

I love almost all the characters so far except for Inukami. She is so annoying and it frustrates me so much I can't enjoy any of the other characters and their developments. I can genuinely say when she isn't shown I throughly enjoy every second of this story even when its a bit slow I'm enjoying it but the way she talks, acts, just exists just puts me off. I think if you like pushy and forceful otaku characters like her then 100% recommend but if you can't stand them then save yourself the trouble of liking the story only to drop sooner or later.

Edit: Thanks to the comment I will be picking it up again! Will update in future when I catch up!

7.5/10 story