The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash - Reviews

Alt title: Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi wo Hajimemashita.

The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash
ChaseyMae's avatar
Mar 17, 2021

The mc is simply adorable and watching her grow as the story progesses is satisfying to say the least. Ive only read 7 chapters but I've fallen in love with this manga and its characters.

KwispyWasTaken's avatar
Mar 11, 2021

Typically i dont like series with a female main characters because it's typically aimed at women and makes it really boring for a 14 year old male such as myself and usually when it's not that its just for horny young men. But this series revolves around neither and has actually a plot thats a *b i t* clishe but not boring. I highly recommend.

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Aug 30, 2021

The color artwork in the beginning is absolutely gorgeous. The black-and-white stuff from then on is still very well done, but is disappointing in comparison. That said, there are crisp lines, proportional bodies, and aesthetically pleasing character designs. The backgrounds are well done when detail is put into them--though I have mixed feelings about the silhouette technique used some of the times--and the lighting can be nice. The adandara, appropriately, looks both adorable and majestic. Also, I should mention: I get the impression that they may be putting too much effort in trying to make Ivy always look cute (such as with how fe always has blushmarks on feir cheeks), but it's not as bad as some other series.

I would say that there are two parts to the manga so far: when Ivy was largely alone (ch. 1-5) and when Ivy started interacting more with Oguto and the other guards (ch. 6-present). In the first section, the constant internal monologues narrating things could get a bit annoying. But, on the other hand, I do appreciate how that section does a good job of portraying Ivy as being on the periphery of larger events (like monster hunts) which fe doesn't participate in. Fe just spends feir time building small traps and snares to catch mice in the woods (which fe often will then sell in town), rummaging through dumps for discarded potions and equipment, and traveling from town to town. The focus on rummaging through dumps specifically really helps to set this manga apart from others in the genre and to make Ivy's situation feel more real. I appreciate that in the second section of the manga, the internal monologuing doesn't feel so overwhelming and it feels like it's setting the stage for larger storylines (which would be harder to do if Ivy remained a transient loner). But this section also starts feeling like like everything is going too easily for Ivy. Fe is getting massive rewards for doing next to nothing and fe doesn't even have to put in effort into hunting anymore because the adandara has been catching piles of meat for fem. I also don't exactly know where this manga is intending to go with things. Obviously, without Ivy femself knowing, fe will probably end up as one of the most powerful monster tamers in the land, but other than that I don't see many long-term trajectories. It might just be an adventure to adventure type of story, with a general laidback feel to it. And honestly, I'm probably okay with that.

[Reviewed at chapter 10]

CAviamarisol's avatar
Mar 3, 2021

SO ADORABLE AND AMAZING MEESA LUV DIS <3

Shallot's avatar
Apr 14, 2022

This is one of my comfort manga, just frustrating that they don't have more chapters. But overall the mystery that the character has to everyone but the readers makes me feel apart of the story and so excited watching her form her POV going through life, and living the way she wants, even tho she is on the run and has to harbour secrets from people she wants to trust and stay with.

9.5/10 story