The Villain's Savior - Reviews

Alt title: Agyeogui Guwonja

The Villain's Savior
YukinaZero's avatar
May 29, 2020

First and foremost NOT FOR THE FEIENT OF HEART. Not only does this manga contain a lot of blood and violence some of which I am not ashamed to say had me looking away from it also has a very complex relationship. Oh the romance! The pictures are all so hauntingly beautiful. The emotions actually made me feel something. And the relationship was just so raw.

There is something you need to understand going into this. A lot of people will try to tell you that this couple is unhealthy and honestly it kind of is. But that's one of the reasons it so beautiful and tragic in it's own way. The guy is pretty much a sociopath and defiantly yandere for the girl. The girl KNOWS he is a sociopath that is activitly ignoring it in favor of her own image and lying to him the whole time to boot. People like to talk about how the guy is psycho but honestly I think the girl's not all there either. They are both obsessed with each other to a harmful extent and it's worryingly sweet.

On one side the guy tries to manipulate her into staying with him because they have become somewhat co-dependent but, on the other side he would also do anything to see her smile. The girl KNOWS he was a murdering psycho in the book but still believes in the good in him because she loves him so much. To the people that will try to argue he is abusing her, she went into this relationship with eye's open. She read the book. She knows what he is capable of but, she continues to love him despite this because she is enamored by his character.

I get if you don't get it. This isn't for everyone but for those that are open minded enough for a less then picture perfect romance this is for you. It's utterly breathtaking and I  promise you won't be disappointed.

Cimon's avatar
Jul 19, 2020

I'm going to get straight to the point about what I dislike:

The female lead Elzay Tiathe and the male lead Aseph Randell. Elzay is supposed to be from the 21st century. She was a regular girl reading a light novel and crying over a side character before she went to sleep and woke up in the body of a side character in the novel herself. After this it all goes downhill. Elzay acts like a fucking wimp. No joke she's pathetic and it hurts to see her like that because it makes me feel ashamed to be a woman. She's weak and sways between getting involved with Aseph vs not getting involved but she's also fucking dumb and lets him do whatever the fuck he wants with her. She also fails to change his horrible, abusive, manipulative personality and instead excuses ALL of his actions due to his horrible childhood. Elzay does not attempt to correct his personlaity in any way as he continues to secretly treat everyone like fucking trash except for Elzay and her father. Of course this shouldn't be secret at all, at least not to Elzay, right? Because she read the whole novel, she knows his character, which means she knows he's most likely abusing his servants and threatening people's lives and shit. But she never says or even THINKS about making him a better person and instead opts to coddle him and let him suck on his thumb.

Aseph. Well I said it all, abusive, manipulative, creepy looking, fucking disgusting. He's the type of guy to cut you off from all your friends and family if he doesn't like them in order to isolate you and make you think you're his. JUST SAYING. He's a complete sociopath and a fucking psycho.

Manthika's avatar
Apr 8, 2020

This is the picture perfect display of an unhealthy relationship; on one side you have a manipulative, literal villain.  On the other, you have a girl who is head over heels for him, even when she knows he's lying, she's obsessed.  And the communication on both sides is terrible and full of lies.  The definition of toxic.

While I don't approve in any way whatsoever, it's not like that makes it a bad manhwa.  The storyline conveys exactly what it's trying to convey (a terrible tale) the art is incredibly well done, the characters are fleshed out and compelling.  It just leaves you feeling incredibly uncomfortable, and isn't a casual read, especially for the weak of heart.

Edited review: anime planet has now added the appropriate content warnings, thank you

Fujufuu's avatar
Jul 9, 2020

The female lead constantly makes stupid and boring choices, the narrative is repetitive, and the romance is frankly boring. It is completely unrealistic, the characters are weak and flat, and the tragedy in the plot serves no real purpose.

AmyzingAmy's avatar
Feb 21, 2020

Only read like 27 chappies so far but I can say that this story is beautiful in this complex, twisted way. Y'know? I find it really disturbing and heart-wrenching but I can't seem to extricate myself from this manga.

Throughout the first few chapters, we see the hell that the villain of this novel has to go through. His name's Aseph and he's gone through a ton of crap. He had an abusive father that preyed upon his weak mother and eventually his home was set on fire. Then he proceeds to become homeless and abandons all of his dignity to survive. A noble woman finds him but then.. guess what? His life didn't finally become a lot better, turns out that woman is a complete perverted psycho that chains him up and tortures him. Shiet. What's even worse, he falls in love with the heroine but the heroine's already hooked up with this king and Aseph just completely flips.

Thank god, there's this one reader reading this whole mess. She's crying over it, like we are (well, I did it internally). We all see this one coming but tada! she ends up inside this very same novel. She's shocked, then absolutely determined to help this villain (hence this story is called "Villain's Savior"). Yippee.

Here's where things start getting kinda funky. And the thing is, this funky part is precisely the beginning of this story :(. Our MC, Zay (her nickname) ends up in the body of the heroine's twin sister. She somehow never seems to miss her previous life with her friends and family and is just completely focused on helping out the poor Aseph. She runs into him, cries, captures his attention, runs into his house to prevent him from going on a massacre (assuming he doesn't kill her too, which of course he doesn't.. plot armor) and then he falls in love with her.

As much as Zay is devoted to the pitiful Aseph, she has a seal that ties her to some random soulmate guy out there. She asked her father to investigate if Aseph had that seal but nope, he does not and thus she is devastated. She kinda does the whole pulling and pushing thing with Aseph. I love you! But my seal.. I love you! Goddamn, the seal again..

The most disturbing part to me is Aseph's mental state. The dude's.. how to say it? Crazy? He's manipulative and all those terrible events just completely blackened him. Judging by how he's acting, I'm pretty sure he'd do just about anything to make Zay his. Hells, this guy stabbed the horse they were both riding on to gain some pity points from her.

Zay just falls for everything and is pretty vulnerable to breakdowns. She's a bit of the naive character, constantly crying over the traumatized Aseph. Zay can catch him when he lies (especially when he mentions his mom) but her guard's never really up when she's with him. She knows that this guy has killed his adoptive mother (not that it's a bad thing.. hurray!) and has also killed a ton of people around the time she just arrived in that world (she prevented it by barging in and somehow surviving but still.. this guy's mentality ain't right).

Hopefully we get some character development, although this manga is keeping me on my toes I think it's a fairly enjoyable read overall.

7.5/10 characters