The Taming of the Tyrant - Reviews

Alt title: Pokguneul Gildeurigo Domangchyeobeoryeotda

The Taming of the Tyrant
abbyhare's avatar
Mar 29, 2021

I certainly don't understand the hype around this manhwa. I've read until chapter 30 and I've yet to express any emotion of excitement or anticipation while reading it. The pacing is a little slow for my taste and it doesn't actually allow me to sympathize with any of the characters. I understand that the female MC wants revenge, but we don't really see just how gruesome or depraved her previous life was. All we have are vague notions of hurt and anger. The characters seem a little 2D for me also and I don't see any major character developments at all (aside from her two brothers I suppose). Don't really recommend reading it.

Manthika's avatar
Jan 18, 2021

400 years ago, a young noblewoman who once wanted nothing more than to be a proud knight for her country was cursed, tortured, and turned into a literal sword.  Bound into the form of a magic sword, she was forced to kill for the sake of emperors, generation after generation, and upon begging God for mercy, she found herself once more in her younger body before she was trapped, before her life was ruined.  This isn't just a tale of time travel or romance, it's a tale of revenge.  It's a story about a strong, independent woman finding her place in life after she hardly remembers what it's like to be human.  Looking at her old life with entirely new, jaded eyes and forging her own path differently this time around.

This is a world of magic and faeries.  This is also a world of violent death and assassins.

Definitely, definitely would recommend it, but not if you're just looking for a cutesy romance.  Summary does it little justice.

The biggest failing of this manhwa is that while the main characters are OP, all the supporting characters are idiots.  They're either aggressive and illogical for no reason (just long enough for the main character to 'shine' by putting them in their place) or just naive and foolish (also to emphasize how 'great' the main character is for manipulating them.)  The love interest isn't, but that's specifically because he's written to 'look good' as well. (Jack of All Trades, but also Master of All Trades which is not a real thing... no guy is that perfect.) A good writer doesn't have to rely on making everybody in the background stupid to make their main characters look better, but it could be worse.  The main female character actually is good, I've read other manga/manhwa/manhua in which the main character was an actual idiot, but everyone else was a thumb-sucking imbicile that only existed to say 'wow, wow, you're so smart' to the main character.  This isn't that bad.  But it is blatantly obvious what they did with that.

That said, I still totally love this, definitely read it yourself :)

2023 Edit: it's still mostly a good story but I ended up dropping it despite following it for so long bc it gained some sexual content I was uncomfortable with later on, so there is that too.  Rating is unchanged bc that's just a personal foible.

HeyHeyHayden's avatar
Nov 19, 2021

The best way to describe this Manhwa would be "empty". Lifeless characters, lifeless art and a meh storyline make it a bland read, so I cannot recommend it.

Also love how people aren't picking up on a major plot hole. MC was turned into a magic sword by the emperor, and about 10 chapters in its revealed that the tyrant she's going to use for revenge was the secret ruler of the country in her first lifetime (I.e. the real emperor). Which obviously makes no sense since why on earth would she work with the person who had her become a living magic sword? If he was the one giving out all the orders in her previous life then she should absolutely hate his guts. Also, in the past life he becomes a tyrant (albeit a secret one) without her help anyway, and nothing really happens, so why on earth choose him for revenge?

3.5/10 story
3.5/10 overall
HappyAlexia's avatar
Jan 19, 2021

The characters are really vivid and I really enjoyed the webtoon so far 😍 some minus points are for the ways to the revenge goal and for the op FL. It's like she doesn't have anything more to learn, she can control and manipulate everyone too easily which is less satisfying than going step by step with some struggles. Moreover it's a toxic relationship awaiting for both characters and no promising future for their happiness 😢 don't know what the future holds but hope it will get better 🤞

dxnac's avatar
Jan 17, 2021

THIS IS CURRENTLY RANKED NO.1 AS IT SHOULD BE THE BACKSTORY IS MUAH THR CHARACTERS ARE MUAH IM READING THE NOVEL AND THE PACING IS ALSO MUUAAAH also the mc is a total baddie i too would conquer an empire for her

UPDATE: i'm gonna have to bump down the original rating of 10 down to an 8.5 🫵🏻😔 it's still a must read but it's not giving me the ohemgee pow of excitement that i used to get while reading it. i think it may just be the initial danger and her having to do things calculativly added extra suspense and excitement that made the story really amazing at the beginning. IF YOU READ THIS UPDATE STILL MF READ IT EVEN IF ITS NOT AMAZEBALLS AT THE END ITS WORTH READING EVEN IF ITS JUST FOR THE BEGINNING

9.8/10 story