The Second Coming of Gluttony - Reviews

Alt title: Tamsigui Jaerim

The Second Coming of Gluttony
Petricho's avatar
Jun 6, 2020

Unlike everyone who wrote a review here about this manhwa, i wrote this review after the manhwa finished adapting "Season 1" so if you want a complete review of the manhwa read here. I'm sure everyone knows that this is a manhwa based off of the highly acclaimed novel; this review will mostly me ranting about how garbage of an adaptation this was to the source material. If this manhwa was an original i would've rated it higher considering how unique it is compared to the other manhwa's i have read, but because this was a adaptation, and rather quite shitty one, i rated it pretty low.

First off, the story. Although it was unique, it was garabage and extremely rushed especially in the later chapters. I won't go in depth with the story because it's much easier to read the manhwa especially considering how short and little explaination goes in with the manhwa. If you want a enjoyable read of the story or if it might seem interesting and unique (which it is) please go read the source material, the novel. They skipped over half the dialouge and explainations to the story that half the time, you don't know wtf is happening. And in the later chapters, the skipped about 3/4 of the content in the novel. They skipped almost all the actions and fight scenes, 90% of all the character development, world building, and the power system. The story overall is extremely rushed and it's much better to read the source material instead.

The art isn't that bad but if you compare it to modern day manhwa's and other art style such as Solo leveling, it lacks in so many ways. Considering how rushed the story was, they should've at least made the art enjoyable to look at right? No, it was pretty bad and ugly. But tbh, its the best part of this series.

The characters, like i said in the beginning, is extremely rushed and bland. the manhwa showed little to no character development on any of the side characters. The Mc is the only one they remotely dived into considering character development; and even then, compared to the novel, it was extremely little and bare minimum. All the characters are one-dementional and like i said so many times, read the novel.

Overall it's a trash adaptation considering how wonderful of a novel it is. Every area is lacking and if you think you might love to read the novel story then i recommend to start at the beginning of the novel if not then at least start within chapter 35 of the novel because that's the point in the manhwa they skipped 90% of literally Everything. If not and you just want to read the LN after the manhwa then start at around chapter 45.

Manthika's avatar
Mar 10, 2020

This is the kind of hardcore, cliffhanger-almost-every-chapter story you want to binge when it has hundreds of chapters, honestly, but even though there's a crushing disappointment that leaves you hanging- I'd still suggest starting this when you have the time.  (There are 30 chapters out at the time I'm writing this, that I've read and ugh, cliffhangers.)

Fair warning: it is gory, you learn that within the first few panels (a crow rips an eyeball out of a corpse's skull, heavy handed symbolism there and absolutely foreshadowing the nasty nature of the story.) And it definitely qualifies as thriller/horror not just psychological.

At first, the main character is a loser, terrible, unlikable.  But soon, that doesn't matter, so stick with it a few chapters...  It's hard to say a lot without spoilers, so I guess I'll just finish with 'read it' and don't be like me, staying up until 3am doing so... It will suck you in, so be warned.  Remember to eat, drink, and sleep responsibly while reading.

Phantoxic's avatar
May 24, 2020

Story could be great. Should be. If it didn't have stupid characters. The characters in this manhwa are so stupid they could get run over by a parked car. First off is MC: He refuses to take care of people who will definitely backstab him, and always gives them another chance. Second is a girl. SHE IS GOING TO LOSE HER ARM WHICH THE MC CAN SAVE AND SHE DOESNT DO ANYTHING. I believe that EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THIS EARTH WOULD ASK FOR A FAVOR AND NOT WANT TO LOSE AN ARM. Not this girl, no she decides to not "bother" him. Usually, if you look at my reviews I give rather high reviews because I only bother so more people can read it. Would not recommend.

devil200's avatar
Aug 16, 2020

Story become bit annoying but all character and stuff is nice.

Oscblade's avatar
Nov 19, 2020

So I started reading this when it first came out. I was very impressed with the manhua at first and wanted to read more. This led me to read the light novel of the story which was farther ahead of the manhua. I since come back to read the rest since the first season of the manhua had been completed. Yet, with all the knowledge I had gained from the light novel I realized how crappy the manhua was for a lack of a better word. Overall I still think it deserves at least a 7 out of 10 rating or a 4.5-star rating.

The reason why I think it's not as good as the light novel is because of how much they cut out. I know that with any anime or manga or whatnot they usually have to trim a bit of the story. But what makes this story so good is all the struggle and personal development that the mc goes through. This guy is not some perfect character instead he someone with major flaws in his character. But throughout the story, he learns to change those flaws while also confronting hard to deal with situations. (I am not talking about his fighting against enemies here)

But in the manhua, they end up just glossing over those parts and really only focusing on the action parts of the story. This is in my book is such a waste, since if they instead chose to make the manhua longer so they could fit in more. Then I believe this would be a solid 10/10 manhua.

Of course, there are other parts that bring the rating of this down. Like the art but that is not a real deal-breaker for me. Overall it's just the fact that they gloss over or outright skip parts of the story that ruin this manhua. Because by doing so you not only get confused by what's going on or how things happened but you lose the major things that help to show character development.

Honestly, if you like this story I recommend reading the light novel instead. But if you are not into light novels then I highly recommend never reading it so that you can better enjoy the manhua.