The Rising of the Shield Hero

Alt title: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Add review
LupaLunae's avatar
Oct 30, 2016

The story is pretty good. It's about a guy who gets transported into an RPG -like universe along with some of his classmates. This is a pretty common set-up so far as fantasy manga with game-like worlds go, but there's twist. He's an outcast, since the world's religion worships the three heroes who will save the world, and he's the unwanted fourth hero. I also liked that he doesn't act like a good guy. (MINOR SPOILER ALERT) After he's betrayed, he doesn't just keep going and being nice to everyone like a lot of other mcs do. He actually has a personality, which unfortunetly is a bit rare in this kind of manga. The side characters could use a bit of work, though they do all have interesting backstories that are relevant to the plot. To add to all that, the art is detailed and pretty well done.

Noriko's avatar
Aug 14, 2014

This review is only for Vol1 of the manga, I might update it once more volumes are out.

For some reason, this manga caught my attention, and so I read 2 chapters. So let's see ^^

STORY

The story seems interesting, even though it's FAR from original. It has that No Game No Life/Sword Art Online vibe where the main character is suddenly inside a world he has never seen before, and somehow everything is a video game.

Honestly, these kind of stories will become a genre. There are sooo many (╯◕_◕)╯

So apart from originality, the story itself is not bad... so far. It has potential for good development but that depends on the author.

ART

Nothing notable about art, it's nothing special, but it's not bad. If art in manga is important to you, don't worry, this one is ''readable'' when it comes to art ^^

CHARACTERS

I really like the characters! Even the main character is not a ''Kirito''-like character. Minor characters are somewhat likable. Once there's more backstory on all of those characters I'm sure I'll like them even more.

OVERALL

This manga has potential to be either really good, or super bad. Can't wait to read more because vol1 left me curious.

Thanks for reading my review! It's not much but if you feel like reading a new manga, this one is not bad. See ya ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Mus1calOtaku's avatar
Jan 4, 2019

I loved this manga. The characters are just usual art styles, nothing important. The anime coming out could change that, like in No Game No Life, with its bright colors. But the main thing I love about this manga is the storyline. It's an isekai, I know that. Not many isekais are good. But this one is. The story is about how an otaku gets transported to a game world, and he's one of the "Four Heroes". The catch is, he's the shield hero (of course, it's in the name). No one wants to be allied with him, and his fate is grim. People want to sabotage him, and give him the worst time possible. But he grows relationships with people and starts to get stronger getting up every time someone wants to fuck with him. It's a story where you can know what he feels like and can feel his anger as well. Not your average isekai.