The Reaper - Reviews

Alt title: Sasinpyowol

The Reaper
jake3795's avatar
Nov 16, 2022

it started off real good but at c30 he gets op but it doesnt show the process of the biggest change where he becomes op as shit and then his whole personality changes its like your looking at a different character like im here for the revenge not some weird ass bar fights and random scenes of him in a bed with a women

Maru69qrd's avatar
Sep 29, 2022

QRD:This is a solid manhwa, however it does skip a chunk from the novel, not a deal breaker though. We'll just have to wait and see if it becomes a continuous habit. There's also a rift between fans on whether they like the MC's current design. Personally I think it suits him well, though others argue he looks like a girl, which is debatable at best, I enjoy an MC who's dominant in force yet effeminate in nature and appearance. It has an appeal, like when normal guys like the amazonian women archetype. The story itself takes a different approach, instead of being the plum blossom yada yada or the mount hua blah blah blah, it's going the poison route, which many authors shy away from to a degree so it'll be interesting to see how this develops.

7.5/10 story
Mendroid's avatar
Sep 28, 2022

Not gonna put too many detailes, but at around chapter 20 something they start missing too many parts from the story.

Though I don't read novels, you defintely should for the missing info.

Webtoons4Ever's avatar
Apr 4, 2023

Up to Episode 33

Reaper of the Drifting Moon had a powerful start that I believed would be the precursor to a amazing series. Vivid settings, a choking, terrifying, intense atmosphere that gripped me, and a protagonist that I loved with all my heart. Pyo Wol is a resilent boy kidnapped and thrust into a dark room for four months. Those who survived would move on to undergo intensive and de-humanizing training that would train them to pull off one of the hardest assasinations of all time. The plot is one of those "bound to be a hit" plots that had me binging the first couple of episodes. The art style complimented the story perfectly, as well as the world-building. The world-building was lore-heavy but easy to consume because of the writing and art style. I loved Pyo Wol's character design, especially his long hair.

Then there was Pyo Wol's character. I found myself instantly attatched to his character, ready to go on this adventure with him. He was brilliant, strategic, and ruthless. What set him apart from the antagonists was his moments of kindness. Pyo Wol hardens to become a husk of the young boy he once was. A cold-hearted young man who doesn't let everything that made him, him slip from his fingertips. There are some scenes were we get to see him doing acts of kindness for Min Yi despite it not benefiting him. Their relationship was tender and heartfelt, the shreds of light in his hardships. I would have loved to see how he was before being kidnapped for a more extensive period to really get to see the transition of his character.

The story went in a direction I did not expect. Everything crumbled away, and many loose ends were left unexplained. Pyo Wol's character is completed blotted away from this new person. The new Pyo Wol felt like a imposter. I understand that Pyo Wol would be completely changed. Nobody can be exactly the same after undergoing such severe trauma. Yet there was nothing about him that seemed the same. The narrative drifts away from his thoughts so that we can't really feel his character there anymore. His thoughts are short, and we barely get to see any more of his inner monologue. His new character design was pretty but I really loved his old one better. I was suprised to see that almost everything about his appearence changed. His old lean and more compact body became androgynous, his lashes longer and his eyes hauntingly beautiful.

There were several aspects of his new self I disliked. While I understand a character has flaws, I couldn't find myself liking anything about him. I realized I was reading this searching for the old Pyo Wol. In a revenge arc story what is important to the story is liking the main protagonist more than the antagonist. He is not morally grey and leaning towards the evil side. Pyo Wol kills people, stabs their eyeballs with his fingers, and hurts them in many ways. There was one scene where Pyo Wol tells a girl she will have to "pay the price" and the scene then changes to them waking up in bed together without any clothes on.  Was getting laid by her the price she had to pay . . . and did she want to do it or was forced into doing it? There were more scenes than necessary of Pyo Wol waking up next to a women that didn't add to the plot at all.

In conclusion, really sad I dropped this but I will probably not pick it up again in the future.

InstantRamen21's avatar
Sep 26, 2022

Manhwa is good art is good plot is new to me so it awesome, but what did they do to the mc after his transformation is he a girl or what???? just whyyyy would you make the mc look like that you should use a FMC from the start if you want a girl mc. so disappointing for that part of the manhwa.