The Promised Neverland

Alt title: Yakusoku no Neverland

Add review
aztroexorcist11's avatar
Feb 3, 2018

This is the best manga I have ever read.

The promised neverland is an action adventure story of children in an orphanage discovering that they are not actually orphans but livestock, and must now fight to escape, survive, and make a world for themselves in a planet that is nothing like they could imagine.

The storyline is insane, the most clever thing I have read for a while. The interactions between the characters are so sophisticated, and it bypasses many annoying cliches like bs ass pull victories or miscommunications. Because of the intelligence of each of the characters, the story is always very layered and complicated- and fast paced!! Breather chapters?? What are those? Not in this manga. Comedic relief is scant due to severity of the situation, and I wouldn't hate to see more of it, but I don't feel it takes away for the plot at all. Annd HOLY PLOT TWISTS- they are going to come at you from nowhere, yet they are still well developed and make sense in the grand scheme of things.

Art:

The art is pretty original; it conveys the bouncyness of children since all characters are 12 or under, but it does a good job of turning those cheerful bouncy 12- year olds into tragic heros when need be. The villians- whew- they are u-g-l-y and will jump scare you at times. The blank looks, the creepy smiles, the lowered eyes, they are extremely well drawn. The only complaint I have is that the bodies can feel way to big compared to the size of their heads, but eh, they are villians, who cares if they are ugly. There are also a lot of landscape panels, and they do a great job showing how wide and different the world looks, which is pretty integral for a fantasy adventure manga.

Best cast ever, hands down. The three main characters are all geniuses, and that alone makes them ridiculously interesting to read about. But the depth of each character- my god. No character is 100% pure which I love because it brings some realism to the plot. They each have secrets they keep from each other, and develop a dark mind when it comes to protecting the ones they love- it's all very interesting to read.

I was pretty surprised when I found out this was published in Jump, seemed a bit darker then what they usually go for. Buet the quality matches up, and it is well deserving of its popularity.

kurumi10v3r's avatar
Feb 12, 2019

Well, a lot of people were talking about the anime, so I decided to give it a try, and I  also read the manga. Yakusoku no Neverland is overrated, but it doesn't mean it is bad. I will talk about some of it's good and bad points.

Narrative:
• Exciting - the story keeps you invested in it since there is always something interesting going on, making you curious to find out what happens next. You do not get bored.

• Straight to the point - the author doesn't waste time with pointless storylines. If a character must have screen time, it happens along with the progress of the story. All of they go throught have a purpose later.

• Predictable - people who are used to anime/manga stories will easily guess some things.

Brain - the characters have to use their intelligence and have to be strategic to solve the situations, which is entertaining. It's an extreme exaggeration to compare it with the geniality of Death Note, though, lmao.

• Cliche - like any shounen, it has reused formulas with no innovation in them.

Art:
I follow the artist on pixiv, and he has awesome works in there. But, in the manga, with exception of the colored pages, I don't find it particularly interesting.

Main characters - the three main kids are lovely. Each one of them has their own unique characteristics and way of dealing with life. But I think it is a little weird how they are so smart at such a young age.

Too many people - the manga has too many characters and no development for them. They don't even are charismatic enough to make you care for them. There are characters who are in the story since the beggining, but they are so irrelevant that you still can't remember their names.

• Interrupted development - sometimes it seems a character will be deepened, but then the author suddenly cuts it off and nothing relevant happens to them.

Conclusion:
Despite it's flaws, Yakusoku no Neverland is a fun manga and it is worth to read it.

OtakuYu's avatar
Jan 27, 2019

Yakusoku No Neverland is an amazing story, I don't normally enjoy horror  story's but this one was extremely enjoyable it has a very strong plot with hardly any holes making it hard to guess what will happen next.

Art

the art was equally as good as the story and I loved how the style could make the characters look innocent and cheery but also dark and mysterious. The only flaw which I don't mind is that most of the villains head's are out of proportion to the body other than that the style is fantastic

characters

Each character was unique and none of them were the same they each had their own characteristics for example Emma and Ray they each had interesting personalities which made the story all the more exciting

overall yakusoku no neverland - the promised neverland is a great story that takes you on a unique exciting adventure leaving you guessing the whole time. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys adventures and supernatural and I thing anyone can read this and find it fun old and young.