The Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter - Reviews

Alt title: Goemul Gongjakgaui Gyeyang Gongnyeo

The Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter
YukinaZero's avatar
Jul 10, 2020

This manga offers a new take on this genre that not a lot of other people are exploring. It's very plot heavy so I can't really say much without spoiling it but I'll try.

The main character in this story is an actual child. Some might find this a bit unappealing but I took it in like a breath of fresh air. Her childish innocence was also a great plot point for some of the stories progression. I hate when authors belittle a females intelligence by making her do something stupid just to move the plot along but here you have a very good reason behind the protagonist's mindset.

I don't really have any complaints about this story at all. In fact I'm anxiously waiting for the releases of the new season so I highly recommend this to anyone interested. Also the male lead is a bit older then her and I really like that. 😶

Korihuyori's avatar
Jun 28, 2020

Truly,  I do not know how to feel about this manhua. Yes it uses somewhat of a typical "cinderella" pathway to start the story. It is just quite annoying that the author keeps us hanging about the powers the FL has. I believe it will turn into something global and blah blah ( but those are just my assumptions; correct me if I'm wrong and please text the chapter when you realize it's not the case) . I truly enjoy seeing some characters (like the Dutchess and her two sons , but the FL looks too weak not physically  (that's too obvious ) but mentally.  It just sounds too unrealistic to be do kind herased after all the hardships she have been through, even or especially as a child. The fact that they made her look forgiving just lessens my empathy towards her . Also from who I assume to be the ML it is not going to be a strong relationship too. The fact that I like the side characters more than the main ones is already displeasing on its own. But also the evil characters  by now still are quite static. The art is pleasing to the eye and simplistic . I assume the storyline to go somewhat similarly to other stories in the genre not literally but hardship wise, the outcomes the interactions the cliche aspects the character development etc (I mean here correct me if I'm wrong [with evidence pls] eventually but that is what I see this to be) . I find it kinda sad that the start was so strong and now it is just as stereotypical as other stories in this genre but a little camouflaged.

7.5/10 art
MinRei's avatar
Sep 8, 2020

As of Chap 64 I have no complaints. 10/10

The only minor things that I used to not like before were, the villains being dumb, they kept doing what evil things they do despite failing every time and the family easily accepting her (the mc) in their home.

Then I realized, dumb evil people like them exist in real life and no matter how busted their deeds are to the public they still wouldnt quit because they convince theirselves that they aren't the ones at fault.

For the Salvatore accepting her I also realized that kids really do have that effect towards us. Whenever there's a kid (as long as they aren't annoying) inside a household filled with grown ups like the Salvatores, it would make them want to take care of her and even spoil her.

For the mc being a kid who was abused, I like how she still has compassion in her heart in the way that although she is cautious of her surrounding she doesn't let it turn her into the people she hated.

Now for all the other characters especially the Salvatore's, I love them, Even the servants in their household are on the mc side. For our ml though, the romance part is still not there but you know, you don't need an extravagant gimmick to get two people together, sometimes you just need to show that they are there for each other.

Also I really loved the time skip part, it's like seeing the characters grow up, and I may have gasped a bit with our ml glow up.

peekachu's avatar
Mar 6, 2022

It was good for first season (till ch 50), when the family of fmc gets punished in the nobel's trial. 7/10 for that arc. It shows how fmc escaped from her home where she was abused, and gets loved by duchess family.

The next arc (ch 50 - 130) is painfullly slow, and it has lots of plot holes. The story builds into minor political drama, where after 90+ chapters, main villain (queen dowager) wants to spread a disease. The whole stealing of disease box could have been stopped, but the duchess, emperor were just sitting, observing. How did the disease box got stolen from the safe, it has not been explained, which itself is biggest plot hole. And then we get the cliche ending, where fmc power suppresses the disease. 4/10 for this arc.

So, stop the manhwa after s1, to get a good read.

5.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
Zambow's avatar
Sep 21, 2022

THIS IS SO GREAT it's everything I want from a found family manga. We have an absolute BADDIE MILF, a strong malewife husband, two nice brothers, and an allpowerful vengeful daughter. It is iconic I need more stories like this