The Lazy Lord Masters the Sword - Reviews

Alt title: Natae Gongja, Nolyeog Cheonjae Doeda

The Lazy Lord Masters the Sword
overseer232365's avatar
Jun 20, 2021

the story is something that has been explored somewhat in different books but the way this book expands on the lazy person/bedridden becomes hardworking it's just amazing and not to sound weird or anything but the girls in this book diffidently fulfill my muscle fetish

9.5/10 characters
9.7/10 overall
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Aug 27, 2021

There are some genuinely positive aspects to this manhwa. Like the fact that the main character, Irene, isn't just instantly made overpowered and that we actually get to see feir progression from weak to strong (though fe does have an instantaneous mental change, which has a slight plot armor tinge to it). And I appreciate the fact that the antagonists don't come across as one-dimensional baddies with irrational hatred for Irene and are instead shown to be generally relatable people with their own struggles. It's also nice how the story will be told from varying perspectives, including those of passing side characters. And the sword slashes and fight choreographies during the duels are pretty well done.

Those upsides, though, don't outweigh the downsides and aren't enough to make the manhwa truly interesting, in my opinion. While it's a nice idea to show Irene's progression, it feels as though the manhwa didn't fully commit to that idea. It doesn't show the various sword techniques that fe's learning. It doesn't show fem learning how to properly grip the sword or any of the other mechanical details that would help immerse us readers into the world and let us go along with fem for the ride. Instead, the story just vaguely has Irene making progress through willpower, perseverance, and hard work. It comes across like grinding in a video game. And watching somebody slowly grinding might be the most boring way I can think of to design a story. It completely fails at creating good dramatic arcs related to the training. A good example of this is how it has Irene transitioning from class F to class C and from class C to class B without those moments being emotional climaxes, resolving some sort of built-up tension. And that's because there isn't any built-up tension. The training just sorta...exists...monotonously. There is some tension built up regarding the relationships between characters, but even those relational story arcs aren't particularly gripping and have somewhat lackluster emotional resolutions. I also find a lot of the artwork--especially outside of the fights--to be sloppy and bland.

[Reviewed at chapter 17]

ClairIsHere4Manga's avatar
Jun 21, 2021

A recently started manag and already a favorite.
This weak to strong manga depicts that of a useless noble that transforms himself into a swordsman.
I do hope the Reformation of the Deadbeat Noble continues to thrive, if you are reading this and enjoy it as much as I, it's very similar to Slave B just a suggestion.
All in all a great manwha and i'm excited to see it's potential.

9.5/10 story
v1ad's avatar
May 24, 2021

The way to reincarnate is really brand new and actually interesting, hope it keeps up with this quality. ( I have high hopes)

8.5/10 art
MonarqueCeleste's avatar
Jun 18, 2022

This has to have one of the best intro ever in any comics. The goosebumps and the tension I felt were incredible! The first half of the first chapter is peak writing, you can hardly top that. But when it comes to the rest, well let's say the author gave their all for the prelude.

The story is okay, a bit slow for my taste. The MC is a deadbeat through and through and you can see it in his everyday expression. He is not strong or cool/charismatic. He is not smart, witty or anything like that. He is actually the most boring character without any personality trait or goals or desires. But I guess that's what makes him perfect for the role. The alt title is "Reformation of the deadbeat noble". The term reformation wasn't used in vain as it describes perfectly what the story is about. You take a random npc and make him into the MC.

What made me stick wasn't the setting, the characters, the world or even the MC. What made me stick is the writing. The writing is pretty good and as an aspiring author I focus mainly on that when reading. The story's flow is well established.