The Great Mage Returns After 4000 Years

The Great Mage Returns After 4000 Years
Add review
ILoveLucifer's avatar
May 5, 2020

It says this is based off a novel, and I could easily imagine the source story being awful; I have the sneaking suspicion the artists tweaked it a little and added substantially to the quality of the characters.

That being said, despite having a lot of the standard cliches, the execution is well done, even nuanced.

Things like the protagonist's body being instinctively afraid of his bullies due to residual emotions/memories, him being attracted to women who are his mental age instead of being a mental 50-year-old creeping on schoolgirls, and the first actually sad reincarnation scene I have read, really make the series for me.

The way the protagonist is drawn occasionally annoys me, but overall the art is quite good. So far, definitely worth a read.

WiredBall's avatar
May 3, 2020

While I am currently writing this I've read 23 chapters and there are only 23 chapters out (not raws). The manga seems ok but it doesn't seem like it's gonna improve anytime soon so a review at this moment seems appropriate.

STORY

So basically the premise of this story is that an overpowered main character "dies" and is reincarnated 4000 years later in a weaker body but has the knowledge to make himself stronger at a rapid pace. The story is very ordinary; while ordinary doesn't mean bad, the story's execution is where it really fails. The story starts off with a small bullying arc which is often seen in these sorts of stories. The bullying in this story is based on discrimination of magic prowess but even if thats the case it seem to have no hold on the actual story other than to have some "bad guys" the MC can beat up to show his how cool and strong he is. This discrimination might come back in later chapters but it seems unlikely to be a big part even if it does because the in all of the 23 chapters world building is second priority if a priority at all since would rather display how cool and strong the MC can be.

CHARACTERS

There are currently 2 important characters, the MC and a love-interest/student. So let's start with the MC; he's selfish, spiteful, playful, flirtatious and cold at times but that doesn't excuse or answer the reason why he say or does some things.For example he will announce that he is over 4000 years old for no real reason and when questioned about this he will shove the question into a corner and just not answer. And this is not just a one time occounce but something that crops up multiple times with no reason other than the fact so the audience can go "ohhh please tell people how cool you are!". Anything else he does can mostly be summed up to he's just playing around which is an easy catch all. As for his tagalong love interest she is mostly there as someone who can respond to the MC's actions but in a haughty, flustered tone or inner monologue.While this sort of interaction can add to a story it more makes the character feel like a restant to the MC's actions and comes off my annoying than anything. There only really one side character with any depth and there not much to say about them, bad or good.

Art

It's pretty good.

4.5/10      It's ok but could easily and most likely will get worse.

4.5/10 overall
mangah0's avatar
May 5, 2020

I was discouraged to read this after I saw a review giving it a terrible rating. I will say this read isn't for everyone. While some of you may adore tropes or stories like this, others will find the plot frustrating.

Personally, I liked where the story started and was becoming, that is until a female character came along. I'm just the type who prefers solo mcs and I don't mind a little teaming up here and there but it seems this girl is gonna be relevant to the story.

The overpowered mc enters a body of a weak man and shows up to the academy the next day like a big shot, showing off some of his superiority. I figure he's never been noticed in a way like this before, but the moment he shows a little bit of strength, power-lust female character starts taking interest in him. She starts clinging onto him and getting flustered at every thing he does. He could motherfucking breathe and her panties would be soaked. She acts like a weak retard because I guess being helpless is sexy? Only in moments of need though, she'll show the powers that she's had. She's also pretty naggy. She reminds me of Lucy from fairytale.

If you like fairytale, and you like Lucy, you'll probably like this story so give it a go.

Phantoxic's avatar
May 7, 2020

I'm not sure what's up with all the hate, except this is certainly something that me, and countless other have been enjoying so far. Sure, the MC being overpowered is a bit cliche except the plot is pretty well spun and the characters are really top notch. Unlike many other Reaper Scans stories where the art and plot are fantastic but the characters have a bunch of holes in them, these characters show great diversity and the main character is someone who you truly appreciate for his moves and his actions.

8.5/10 art
Jezzy121's avatar
May 6, 2020

Okay I am really enjoying this one as with any manga it has it's shortcomings but as I do with any of my reviews I will give a pro's and con's list detailing what can be done better and what I think is spot on.

Pros:

• The art is beautiful.  Between the coloring, shading, and line work it is almost perfect.
  • Going off the last bullet the design of the characters are awesome you have a wide variety of characters that all look different even going so far as having characters of color not of asian decsent which you don't see in many mangas and the different characters are done well without giving off any racist sterotypes.
  • The plot is easy to follow and makes you want to find out what happens next.
  • I am reading a translation done by Reaperscans and I have to say they are doing a fantastic job compared to most who seem to only put their works through Google Translate.  This group really shows their dedication.
  • This guy was 50 years old when he was sent to the future in a teens body unlike most mangas like this he doesn't start liking teenage girls instead he hits on teachers and older woman and completely ignores the teenage girls which is very refreshing.

Cons:

• It is my hope that they go into more detail about the abilities he is learning they give a basic outline but I want more.
  • The main female character is supposed to be competing for the number 1 spot in their school and at times she seems weak.  Although I get not having battle experience I wish you could see her bada$$ness a little more.
  • She also tends to yell a lot which can get kind of annoying for someone they originally played off as calm and collected. (this last two bullet points are a double edged sword though simply because they could go on either list I like that she wasn't immediately comfortable with battle simply because she was never put in that situation and I also like that shes coming out of her shell more the main reason they are in the con list is because I needed more down here)

Honestly there isn't much to say negative about this so far I've only gotten to chapter 25 as they scanlation group has caught up with the raws but it releases once a week and I am invested.  I recommend giving this one a try if you like these types.