The Duke's Cursed Charm - Reviews

Alt title: Maseongui Gongjangnimeun Jam Mot Irugo

The Duke's Cursed Charm
machiabeeli's avatar
Mar 27, 2022

Usually, when they create a tragic backstory for the ML, they're the standard political intrigue and competition for the throne. Their mothers are concubines and they either raise the ML with little to no affection while vying for a position of power or they are slaughtered for being out of place within the palace.

This is the first that I've read with a backstory that made me feel bad for the ML, only because this is something outside of anyone else's control.

He grows up with the ability to make anyone fall in love with him. Like Maybelline, he was born with it. The power to seduce others, man or woman, thrums underneath his skin and he has to cast magic on himself to ensure that others do not fall under the spell. Unfortunately, this only works to his detriment; people are afraid of him and have shunned him from social circles for fear of what he can do them. As a child, he was sexually harassed by adults who thirsted for him and then ostracized him when they realized that the spell pushed them to take action - leading to a very lonely childhood and even lonelier adulthood. The ML only wants to live a normal life.

Enter the FL. Somehow, through a strange turn of events, he discovers that she is invulnerable to his magic and doesn't feel its pressure, regardless of whether he wields it or not. We have yet to come across the actual explanation but I like how the story progresses because of her.

Plot-wise, I feel like they're slowly building the motivations of each of the main characters as well as the political setting that will be brought into motion. The antagonists of this story seem to be worthwhile opponents and they might actually make the story more engaging because they provide the much-needed tension to bring about character development. They have the history and the cunning to enact vengeance on the main characters.

Should you read this? Yes, if you're into a wholesome slow-build romance and good world-building.

Reviewed at Chapter 18.

ReaperRiceCake's avatar
Oct 11, 2022

A good nobility manhwa, some tropes but they are twisted so it is enjoyable. ML is a black haired soft tsundere. He is not that cold and is very kind towards everybody despite of his curse. (excluding at the start, but this event seems to be out of his character...)
It's only his curse that made him to be lonely, not his inner character. So he is different from other black haired tsunderes.. plus the story is from his POV, for a change.

Both FL and ML hold some past trauma, and both remain cheerful & kind toward their relatives, especially between them. The story is like a newylywed slice of life, except the fact they didn't confess ahah! It's so sweet to watch them slightly evolve, these two cinnamon rolls. No fake marriage, no first night rape, no frail FL!

FL has common traits of nobility manhwa main character (kind, sweet, shy etc...) BUT her past is a mystere and she is not as weak as she seems. (no spoil!) She is a maid, but not for ever ;-)

About the story, I have some doubts on duke's curse, it seems to me many people are able to handle it, so he shouldn't have been that lonely... My inner Karen will say the curse trope is far-fetched.

I forgive it 'coz I like the fantasy & supernatural lore, mixed up with politics, all of this is well balanced with slow burn romance.

Chap 47 : ongoing

QueenOfTheFairys's avatar
Nov 24, 2022

I have to be honest, I love this so so much. It's honestly one of the best things I've read. I couldn't put it down, it caused me to fail a biology test because I was so invested. The backstories of the charecters seem so fleshed out, especially the ML's.

The art style is so beautiful and their expressions seem so realistic.

The mystery behind the FL's past is so intriguing. I also love how both of them are reacting to how they feel. It just seems so real. I feel a little bad for my friends who had to hear me rave about how wonderful this was.

I can't wait to see how it turns out, but I have some guesses about what could happen.

LuckyM's avatar
Jul 10, 2023

I absolutley ADORE this series! It is so perfect in so many ways. good communication, good art, good characters, keeps your attention. Full marks across the board, would highly recomend! Also very similar vibes as A Tender Heart :)

MidnightLace's avatar
Aug 4, 2023

The story as a whole was good, solid 4 stars.

I only have two issues: the last 20 or so chapters felt rushed and I wished there was a little more development in the relationship between the ML and FL. It was kinda put on the back burner for the story, and forgotten about until the very end.

But overall it was great.