The Duchess Has a Deathwish - Reviews

Alt title: Angnyeoindeyo, Jugeodo Doelkkayo?

The Duchess Has a Deathwish
Rapidery's avatar
Jun 1, 2022

Listen the story is interesting and very different but this review is more of a warning, if you suffer from any mental health issues, be it suicidal thoughts, depression or tendencies to hurt yourself, do not read this story

the characters are all interesting and follow their design very well, the respond to situations quite realistically, and I enjoy reading about and learning about them,

the art is very nice and soft, yet there are some inconsistencies that I feel are there on purpose, as example one scene the parents look very strange, yet I feel that is just how the main character sees them,

overall it's an interesting story which makes you think, and helps you realise the difficulties some people face. But let me say it again as I feel it is important. if you suffer from any mental health issues, be it suicidal thoughts, depression or tendencies to hurt yourself, do not read this story, please ask for help if you feel not alright as it's alright to feel not alright!

Hopyaaa123's avatar
Dec 11, 2022

I don't write reviews unless I really really like the story and want to write my heart out to tell everyone how great it is. This manhwa is one of that reads. Some of you might find that the FL is annoying, but the heart's sickness can't be healed that easily, so the FL has every right to feel that way. The story is a bit slow but it's understandable because it tackles a lot and can be a bit heavy. Reading the story made me cry so much and I can't wait for the FL to be healed. I'm not really sure who the ML is yet.

:If you want to immerse yourself in emotions this is a yes for you.

:It takes a lot of patience and understanding to read the manhwa so I don't really recommend this to people that want a happy light read.

fouir's avatar
Jan 14, 2023

Honestly, it's pretty good. Decent artstyle, slow storylines but incredible character writing. Its really good.

As I read around chapter 30+, the scenes were so touching, I would have cry my eyes out so if only I wasn't trying to stop myself from crying.

I don't have a concrete review but know that reading this manhwa will make you emotional.

SPOILERI am excited to see our MC's character development after she realizes that there's a lot of stuff she wants to do. I HONESTLY CANT STOP. I GOT ANGRY WHEN I REALIZED THAT I WAS READING THE LATEST CHAPTER SHEESH.

Edit: She got herself a character development! but as the story progress, I don't know what's her goal anymore.

Asyeurin's avatar
Feb 7, 2023

The main character's attitude towards life in this series is indescribably accurate to the feelings of someone suffering from depression. I can't express quite how I feel while reading this, because it's uncanny how many of my thoughts are reflected on the page, a level of apathy that is extremely hard to communicate to others.

Serena spends much of her time sleeping, or lying around with a vacant expression, and it just feels so familiar it makes me tremble inside. People don't understand when I say that I'm tired, or lack motivation, they don't understand the level to which I mean those things - but this random otome villainess comic? Does.

And it is still your standard otome villainess comic in many ways. But its focus hits way harder than most. The original heroine is a vague passerby we see in about two or three scenes, her part in the story thus far is utterly inconsequential. There are romantic interests available, but Serena is not in a condition to engage with them the first part of the story. The story instead contemplates her past and present familial relationships, and the perspective of those surrounding her who are concerned for her wellbeing.

I would recommend this to anyone looking to understand what it means to live with crippling depression, and I would caution anyone with mental health issues to consider your own state before reading it. If you want to give it a go though, at least read to chapter 38 so you can read the influence these experiences have on all parties involved.

Alright, I'd best be off to find something to break the mood then.

molopower's avatar
Sep 17, 2022

"The duchess has a deathwish" has an interesting premise, but does not deliver on the subject matter. The characters are annoying, the world is bland and the protagonist is okay.