The Boxer - Reviews

The Boxer
Banking's avatar
Oct 14, 2020

It's a story about a depressed superhuman winning boxing matches.

like most boxing stories its a character driven narrative so to its core it's about the characters personalities and histories.

it's a good read and depends on you whenever you like it or not.

either way is very entertaining and is worth giving it a try.

8.8/10 story
8.4/10 art
8.6/10 characters
Pelvis's avatar
Dec 6, 2020

I really like the story, personally I wished they'd spend time on Yu instead of Jay. I only want there to be One Main Character, however I do think it's so unique and awesome to spend time fleshing out and going into the backstory of his opponents. It makes the characters so alive. As for the art, I wouldn't say it's bad, but more unique. It's not my favorite, but it's eye catching and good. The best part are the fight scenes. All I can say is that those fight scenes are really, really, really, epic. It's one of my favorites at the moment.

Ponyo18's avatar
Jul 26, 2020

I understand why this had such a high rating; it deserves it.

Story: It starts off showing a talented asshole, then a weak, courageous young man, and then our MC. A monster who has an extraordinary talent for boxing. The problem, he doesn't see the point in doing it. He looks dead inside. Then some boxing coach recruits him and the fun begins. This manga is really thrilling.

Art: Average, but damn they can make some creepy as hell looking characters.

Characters: The talented asshole I mentioned earlier is most definitely a sadist who looks like Bakugo from BNHA. He's like the antagonist who needs some sense knocked into him. Then we have the weak, courageous young man who is targeted by the asshole. His father was a boxer and he strives to become one. Next is the MC, AKA Yu. Yu is like that villain who doesn't even give an effort yet still wins. He makes winning look so simple, he literally sees the punches in slow motion. I remember that when the coach who recruits Yu first met him, he said that Yu looked 'bored of waiting for the punches'. Yu is a boxing prodigy.

Overall: 4/5 stars

TheFachi07's avatar
Nov 1, 2020

This is my favorite sports/fighting manga EVER. Other reviews have already talked about the plot of the story so ill just talk about the smaller parts such as my likes and dislikes. The only thing I don really like about this story is that they'll show some characters that we've never seen before and sometimes it's confusing seeing a kid in a hospital bed who, or a bartender who wants to be a boxer when we don't even know their names yet. The art is really good and the symbolism they use is easy to see to the point where any guy who has read it once or more can tell. I love the dynamic of Yu however they take a long time to ever actually open up about who Yu is, they vaguely show his parents in the beginning, and the only time he opens up in the first 50 chapters is when he thinks about the blonde kid from school who he seems intimidated by, this is possibly due to the fact that he had been the brightest "light in his life". Just my interpretation though.

KgSE's avatar
Feb 6, 2022

My favorite manhua ever and the only one that made me cry the story amazing the characters wonderful the art suits the manhua theme

It's keep surprise me every chapter