The Archmage Returns After 4000 years - Reviews

Alt titles: 4000-nyeon Mane Gwihwanhan Daemadosa, The Great Mage Returns After 4000 Years

The Archmage Returns After 4000 years
ILoveLucifer's avatar
May 5, 2020

It says this is based off a novel, and I could easily imagine the source story being awful; I have the sneaking suspicion the artists tweaked it a little and added substantially to the quality of the characters.

That being said, despite having a lot of the standard cliches, the execution is well done, even nuanced.

Things like the protagonist's body being instinctively afraid of his bullies due to residual emotions/memories, him being attracted to women who are his mental age instead of being a mental 50-year-old creeping on schoolgirls, and the first actually sad reincarnation scene I have read, really make the series for me.

The way the protagonist is drawn occasionally annoys me, but overall the art is quite good. So far, definitely worth a read.

mangah0's avatar
May 5, 2020

I was discouraged to read this after I saw a review giving it a terrible rating. I will say this read isn't for everyone. While some of you may adore tropes or stories like this, others will find the plot frustrating.

Personally, I liked where the story started and was becoming, that is until a female character came along. I'm just the type who prefers solo mcs and I don't mind a little teaming up here and there but it seems this girl is gonna be relevant to the story.

The overpowered mc enters a body of a weak man and shows up to the academy the next day like a big shot, showing off some of his superiority. I figure he's never been noticed in a way like this before, but the moment he shows a little bit of strength, power-lust female character starts taking interest in him. She starts clinging onto him and getting flustered at every thing he does. He could motherfucking breathe and her panties would be soaked. She acts like a weak retard because I guess being helpless is sexy? Only in moments of need though, she'll show the powers that she's had. She's also pretty naggy. She reminds me of Lucy from fairytale.

If you like fairytale, and you like Lucy, you'll probably like this story so give it a go.

AstronViolence's avatar
Jan 14, 2021

The first what, 10 or so chapters I think were very enjoyable. After that (I'm probably dropping this at chapter 17) it just got super boring. Isabelle started following him everywhere, I really don't like deuteragonists in these sort of revenge or from weak to how they were before they lost their power. Also, the chapters just kept dragging... it went on for much longer than it should have so it got boring super quickly. Sure, the scenes where our protagonist fights are hella sick, but that doesn't last NEARLY as long as the 'filler'. Despite these points I've made I'm still going to rate it 7/10, because that's what I would've rated it if it were only the start and kept the quality throughout. I might still read this if there's nothing else to read but I highly doubt that.

Singularity01's avatar
Dec 18, 2020

Currently at Chapter 62 and I must say that the story is not so good revelations about the MC are too casual when he talks about them with Isabelle.

Story is harem but he doesn't care about the kids and he likes MILF more.

His progress to too much 5 star in an instant he become 6 star during Drake King and 7 Star during Apostle while the strongest in his current era is only at 8 stars.

The story seems rushed there are several time skips I don't even know their ages in earlier chapters they seem like teens but in latter chapters they look like adults in their 30s.

Art is Good (I only continue reading because of the Art) - Almost similar to Sword King.

Story Average (and goes here and there) - not so good plot particularly the time during their fight with the Apostle... Old Man approaches him then he died such useless scene.

Characters - Nah (Isabelle is like saw him beat the crap someone in early chapter then join him suddenly... learns from him then follow him eventually after knowing his identity... but earlier chapters she somehow knows his identity)

Jezzy121's avatar
May 6, 2020

Okay I am really enjoying this one as with any manga it has it's shortcomings but as I do with any of my reviews I will give a pro's and con's list detailing what can be done better and what I think is spot on.

Pros:

• The art is beautiful.  Between the coloring, shading, and line work it is almost perfect.
  • Going off the last bullet the design of the characters are awesome you have a wide variety of characters that all look different even going so far as having characters of color not of asian decsent which you don't see in many mangas and the different characters are done well without giving off any racist sterotypes.
  • The plot is easy to follow and makes you want to find out what happens next.
  • I am reading a translation done by Reaperscans and I have to say they are doing a fantastic job compared to most who seem to only put their works through Google Translate.  This group really shows their dedication.
  • This guy was 50 years old when he was sent to the future in a teens body unlike most mangas like this he doesn't start liking teenage girls instead he hits on teachers and older woman and completely ignores the teenage girls which is very refreshing.

Cons:

• It is my hope that they go into more detail about the abilities he is learning they give a basic outline but I want more.
  • The main female character is supposed to be competing for the number 1 spot in their school and at times she seems weak.  Although I get not having battle experience I wish you could see her bada$$ness a little more.
  • She also tends to yell a lot which can get kind of annoying for someone they originally played off as calm and collected. (this last two bullet points are a double edged sword though simply because they could go on either list I like that she wasn't immediately comfortable with battle simply because she was never put in that situation and I also like that shes coming out of her shell more the main reason they are in the con list is because I needed more down here)

Honestly there isn't much to say negative about this so far I've only gotten to chapter 25 as they scanlation group has caught up with the raws but it releases once a week and I am invested.  I recommend giving this one a try if you like these types.