Tales of Demons and Gods - Reviews

Alt title: Yaoshenji

Tales of Demons and Gods
Ponyo18's avatar
Jun 20, 2020

There are so many reviews talking about how great this manga is, but no critics. Let's change that. SO-

I dropped this manga after almost 200 something chapters, I think. I have a terrible memory and Inread this years ago. Like everyone else, I loved it and thought it was the best. Eventually, it loses its touch. The female characters are annoying and too dependent on the male lead, they're just damsels in distress. Before they were able to fight on their own but then suddenly they just. . . became weak? I don't know, but I don't like that. The male lead was intelligent and admirable at first, but now he's just plain annoying and makes cringe expressions. AND the ML needs to grow up already!! So many chapters and he's still a kid?! C'MON!!!!!

Despite me saying that the female characters are weak, I should also specify that by weak I don't mean  entirely helpless. I think mentally weak is a better phrase for them, I wish they had a stronger mentality because it would improve their character greatly.

His obsession with that purple-haired girl is like Naruto and Sakura, just not as intense. It's annoying. I shipped him with the other girl more. I hate it when my ships don't sail.

AHEM!! So, in the end, I dropped it. No regrets.

Sayonara.

StaffOfOne's avatar
Jul 29, 2017

*Up to Ch. 134*

The main character is a little too powerful for my liking (basically a God!MC as well as the inevitable harem which forms around such a person), however the worldbuilding is good. The smattering of political intrigue is also interesting.

Although it is satisfying to read knowing that all the bad guys are going to get their just desserts and everyone is going to bow down and acknowledge the MC's brilliance and genius, Yaoshenji could do with more tension (as to the fate of MC). God!MC is what he's been for the most recent chapters which the author can only rectify at this point if they throw a major curveball at the MC so he's not so powerful (at leasts in comparison to threats on a broader scale -- maybe if it got to the point that all the major changes getting made start backfiring with consequences he didn't intend). <-- on reflection, the current arc may be doing just that, however my main point about the MC being too OP (right now) stands.

I really do think that a story focusing on the prequel (the original timeline) would be more interesting, especially in terms of theme and character development. I want to see the trials and tribulations he went through to learn all those arts, ancient languages, and classical scrolls which are referenced to in the flashbacks. Fleshing that out more would possibly also help with the characterizations/motivations which so far have been pretty one sided.

RPGlitchy's avatar
May 29, 2020

It's a chinese copy of naruto.

Literally, has the same classroom with slightly altered looks for Neji, Naruto, Sasuke, Choji, and Sakura etc....Along with their own version of a Hokage. The main character even looks like Naruto and has his mannuerisms (saying something cool or silly and rubbing his nose).

Good thing is that the main character is OP. So if you only care about OP characters. You found your manga.

Bad thing is it copies off of other works blatantly.

Don't expect this to ever get an anime without getting hit hard by international copyright law.

dannyjayes1's avatar
Dec 14, 2015

This is a great manga/LN in my opinion, the story is great, about a boy who used to be the strongest man, but when the city got invaded, slowly his friends staerted to die to the monsters, and later on he also died, but went back in time for some reason to when he was 13, and had all of his knoledge, yet was the weakest person. overall this is a great story, would recommend it to everyone.

8.5/10 characters
ScholarOfYore's avatar
May 13, 2021

How Opinions can change. I remeber loving this story (and the light novel too) about 2-3 years ago. Now I revisit it and what do I find? Hot garbage (ok, that's an exaggeration (edit after revisting this review, maybe it's not that much of an exageration)...

The Artstyle is still pretty neat and well put together, but this this doesn't make the characters any more interesting. They are as bland as it gets and so incredibly boring and repetive. The worldbuilding is still decent, but with a story so repetetive and increasingly dull this only helps to an extent.

Maybe instead of talking in undefined opions without examples I want to mention 3 aspects abouth the characters I dislike.

1. The "bad-guys". Apart from being repetitive, they also act incredibly stupid for their rank/age/strength.

2. The "important" female characters are all "simple-minded", they don't seem to have a strong mind of their own and even though they are extremly strong as well, they act like dim-wits way to often.

3. The MC is such a "little-kid". He acts childish, self-centered and narrow minded even though is supposed to be like a 200 years old.

Oh btw. the last chapter I read was 254 (Manhua) / 470 (light novel)

5.5/10 story