Taisho Otome Otogibanashi - Reviews

Alt title: Taisho Maiden Fairytale

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi
Parky's avatar
Sep 12, 2018

To all of those here. Taisho Wotome Otogibanashi was a train ride of emotions that I would find hard to describe eloquently. This manga is like a bundle of extreme coma-inducing cuteness packed with a pit full of emotions with its fair share of drama. This manga will make you grin harder than you ever have and make you root for a couple like no other. The romance isn't something that you see very often. It is something captivating and beautiful like a soaring bird or like a lotus that has been bathed in its morning dew. Once finished with this marvel, you won't be begging for more as It has already given you all that you need as any more would ruin the beauty. You will be left feeling whole and full of gratitude. Truly, just like this review, this manga was like "a powerful tailwind".

aeab32's avatar
Dec 7, 2019

A wonderful but sometimes heart wrenching romantic manga set in Japan's 1920s. Story has one of the main character being disabled and his emotional rollercoaster life, along with people who are kind and helpful as well as those who are nasty and deceitful. Well worth a read. It has details on the historical background which is helpful to anyone not knowing Japanese history.

KingAnime's avatar
Dec 19, 2019

Taishou Otome Otogibanashi, or Taisho maiden fairy tale is a wonderful, heart warming bitter sweet (mostly sweet as hell, sometimes bitter) tale about the cold, pessimistic Tamahiko and his bubbly, out right literally pure sugar wife Yuzuru that will slowly melts and thaw out his ice cold heart. This this manga, you will follow our main characters through their sweet and adorable daily life. Witness how they expresses their love in cute little ways. Their fateful encounters of many amazing people, including: Tamako (the little sister of Tamahiko), and Ryo (the neighbor girl).

In this little manga, with every chapters, the author masterfully crafts the dialogues and the art to blend in and support every emotions the manga is experiencing. This create many wonderful atmospheres in the manga which I really love.

This manga successfully crafts the warm and homely feeling, almost nostalgia (similar to listening to a ghibli song). This is also widely supported by the ever growing character introductions and development we can see. Watching many characters' altitude change throughout the manga is very heart-warming to say the least.

Finally, I have to extremely commend the author with her choice of setting, which can be overlooked by most people. The setting of the Taishou Era certainly brings out a different set of feelings and atmosphere; archaic in a nostalgic way (Not that I have experienced that era) but beautiful, nonetheless. It also allow the author to explore many cultural aspects that might have been overlooked or non an issue in today's society: like the Japanese's perspective of women, arranged marriages and many historical events, (the pretty dresses and Kimonos are certainly a plus XD ).

I cannot stresses enough how underrated this manga is. I hope it receives the attention it deserved soon. I also recommend checking out: "Showa maiden fairy tale" which is a sequel to this book with some recurring casts and pretty similar themes explored in completely different ways, albeit still masterfully.

Tl;dr It is very very heart warming and sweet manga which also explore many cultural aspects of Taisho era Japan where ALL casts are likeable (minus a few). PLEASE GO READ.

Ponyo18's avatar
Aug 2, 2020

I was expecting this one to move my heart but I've been stone-cold this week. SIGH. Oh, but it's still good.

Story: Tamahiko is victim to an accident and losing the ability to use his right arm. He is ostracized by his father and goes into a state of depression. Then one day a girl called Yuzuki, hired by his father is to take care of him and eventually marry Tamahiko. And slowly, she helps Tamahiko open up.

The last few chapters were just full of unwanted drama that wasn't good for my heart, but the last two chapters were adorable.

Art: Mediocre, very cute at times.

Characters: I have no complaints on Tamahiko, he's a cute male lead although he's very pessimistic. Yuzuki is just so adorable but it came to my attention while I was reading that she lacks the ability to voice her worries (regarding herself, not Tamahiko's).

Overall3.5/5 stars

leilanigaleana's avatar
Jun 23, 2021

all time new favorite. READ IT NOW!! SO CUTE AN WHOLESOME AND DEEP! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT