Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World - Reviews

Alt title: Igye Geomwang Saengjongi

Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World
drakiesan's avatar
Apr 1, 2020

It's like it's missing some kind of "zing".

Character: The MC is so indecisive cuckoldish trash it's almost impossible to like him. He is OP as fk but he has weak will, heart and is boring to hell. Of course we can forgot he lacks brain completely. He is utter braindead or brain for muscles type of MC. He is weaker soup of already bad One Punch Man. Other characters didn't have enough screentime to be important.

Art: Epitome of mediocrity. It has no obvious flaws nor positives. Clearly done by someone talented but inexperienced and without heart.

Story: Pacing is slow, but not that much. Only 36 chapters, but seems like it's kind of boring, mediocre and predictable story.

Overall, it's mediocre manhwa made for money. Nothing else, nothing more.

CapitaineOtaku's avatar
May 14, 2020

This one is really difficult for me because I thought the first 10 chapters were among the best I read in every manwha out there. Like it's pure joy of seeing the mc grind every day and slowly become stronger. It's the reason we love these type of stories. Every minute of mc's suffering was paid back in strength and experience, pure bliss. I remember even praising the author in every chapter because it was so rare to see an OP character done right.

*Mild spoiler*

Then the story continued and the mc started his journey. The basis of what he was supposed to do has been CLEARLY explained and he knows his goal. I repeat the mc knows his final goal so from that point forward you'd expect him to focus on it. You know why? Because unlike other MCs he wasn't directly given power and hard to work his azz off to become strong with the only goal of surviving. With such a background you expect to see him continue on this journey but with more freedom since he's out of loop. But that was without counting on Author-san. I think we already know author-san by now and how they like to F up stories and characters.

This mentally and physically strong dude became a putz. There is no other words do describe him. He doesn't want to fight and decide to hide the fact that he's strong. I understand why because it's somewhat explained but nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing he did while in that town helped move the story forward in any way. Making an OP character appear weak only works when it serves a specific purpose. Making an mc purposefully hiding his strength just to make him use it later and say some philosophical bull is crap storytelling. It was just chapters wasted on slice of life and drama. He can't take any decisions by himself anymore and become a sad emo like freaking Sasuke, I mean really dude?

As if it wasn't enough now we have to deal with a trap who forces himself on the MC's party and become his companion for no reason. I hate passive mc but what I hate the most is overbearing secondary and side chara. The type that follows the mc everywhere and talk over him or coerce him into hemping them and now the supposedly badass mc becomes an obedient dog. You thought this would be the new Solo leveling in the beginning right? Well now it's a drama flirting on yaoi with occasional fight scenes. The mc is not even the mc anymore since the focus is now on side characters. If you came here for the muscle on the cover read the first 11 chapters and bounce otherwise you'll be highly disappointed.

Manthika's avatar
Apr 6, 2020

Oh hero!  (This Isekai Is Not Your Friend…)

While at first glance it might look like your average isekai, it’s anything but!  There’s a whole lot more plot than you’d expect, and a surprise twist I can’t explain without spoilers but I really wish I could gush about.  Not everything is as it seems with this manhwa, so you should stick it out for the first couple of awkward chapters.

The art isn’t the usual bold, highly shaded, masterpiece that most people look for, but it’s good.  It’s original, and different, much like the rest of it.  The characters are all unique people, no cut-and-paste cutout people here.  Honestly, one of my favorites, and I’ve read a lot of isekai.

Ryu Han-Bin is summoned into a mysterious new dimension and given the short end of the stick by the gods/entities that did it and left him basically helpless.  Because of a glitch/error, he’s left to suffer alone, but he’s a determined character who makes you want to support his struggle as you read.  He’s a really determined character, very shonen protagonist, willpower 100.  And when he decides to do something, he does it, and he sticks to it.  The manhwa is really fun and filled with action and good art and I absolutely consider it worth it.

A lot of negative reviews are (imo) because of what this manhwa is not.  This manhwa is not a basic cheat isekai where a hot/cute guy gets a thousand girls.  This manhwa is not a simple, mindless comedy where you go ‘haha, boobies’ every couple pages.  It’s original, it’s different, and it’s a good read with fun content.

Eneko's avatar
Aug 9, 2020

this story was unique and fairly good, I liked the mc ryu han bin's brainless and goofy side after the first few chapter, I did get into this webtoon after the first few chapters and I especially got into it when Artis was introduced (the red fire dragon).

i especially loved the fact that there weren't those annoying useless ass boddy or whatever harem full of girls and the mc doesn't go 'boobies' every few seconds. it just kinda annoys me to the bones, unless of course the webtoon is so good or i have nothing else to read i would read those types.

i especially love bl factors and Artis and ryu han bin could be a ship? the fact the dragon guy Artis was added as a mc companion in this kind of fantasy and action story just gives me thrill lol, i would say that's one of the main reason i love this, (since usually bl wouldnt be added in action webtoons)

thor123's avatar
Apr 23, 2020

Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World is a surprisingly light-hearted fantasy romp about a guy who first goes through decades of despair, to finally end up in his target fantasy world where he turns out to be basically One Punch Slash Man.

While initially our Sword King Han-Bin gets thrown into that world as a pawn of some manipulative gods, that plot thread takes a back seat to show how he has a lot of trouble to function in this magic-based society. Which leads to some hilarious moments, as he teams up with some interesting people to work as an "adventurer". Pacing of the story is ok as well.

The characters are quirky and interesting, and mostly have enough backstories and personality to get you invested in them. And, surprisingly, even some of the early "throwaway" villains are memorable, which is not something you see often in these kinds of OP MC fantasy stories. Speaking of our MC: he may be OP in a physical sense, but his mental weaknesses at the start of the story as well as his... dubious intelligence make his adventures early on extra worthwile imo (and funny later on). Han-Bin's positivity is also kind of inspirational.

The art is full-colour, does exactly what it has to do, and it does it well: muscles are muscular, waifus are cute, traps are cute, dragons are cute (?), facial expressions funny when they can and serious when they should be serious.

From ch. 0

Overall: it's one of my personal favourite isekai series currently. It's not what I'd call a must read or anything, but it's still a very enjoyable fantasy manhwa which I recommend checking out.