SSS-Class Revival Hunter - Reviews

Alt title: SSS-geup Jasal Hunter

SSS-Class Revival Hunter
L0stAuthority's avatar
Apr 2, 2021

Hands-down one of the best action-based manwhas. This is my review upon reading 30 chapters.

Why I like it.

SSS-Class Revival Hunter has one of the most unique storylines that I've every seen. First of all, players live in the game world and although the main character's ability is powerful, it requires wits to fully utilize it. Also, it's mainly a world where players try to work together to defeat stages of the game world to progress further in the storyline. There are some heartwarming, tear-jerking moments, which was unexpected, but I love it and it makes people feel differently towards the main character. Although the mc is kinda pathetic at the beginning, he undergoes character changes throughout the entire story and it's beautiful. The supporting characters, in my opinion are well-developed and diverse and help add to the storyline in some way. Finally, the artwork is one of the best I've seen.

Some flaws

• Suicide plays a part of the main character's ability, so there's probably frequent occurances of it. The main character doesn't suffer depression or have frequent thoughts about self-harm. However, the issue of suicide can be disturbing to some.
  • Main character may seem as pathetic and a little crazy in the first few chapters (until around chapter 6 or 7 is when the story starts to progress)

If you can overlook the flaws, this manwha is a pretty good read and only gets better and better as the chapters progress.

9.7/10 overall
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Jul 5, 2021

It might be marginally generous to rate this as a 10/10 instead of a 9/10, but either way it should be clear that this is an entertaining manhwa. It was really easy to binge-read in only a few hours, because it kept adding developments that felt fresh (several of which I didn't see coming at all). There is definitely a lot of plot armor and the extent of the conveniency can get annoying (like with the rewards fe got for clearing the 10th floor), but for the most part it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the series. What did sorta bother me though was the way some of the developments felt rushed through (like with the battle to clear the 11th floor, or with floors 13 to 19). And I know that these aspects are being rushed because they're not what makes the series cool--and are more just grinding fights than anything plot-relevant--but it still came across as though major moments were being glossed over.

Many of the component pieces feel like I've seen them a million times in other cultivation and RPG-style stories--like the ghost and the tower, to cite two obvious examples. Our main character, Kim Gong-Ja (or Confucius), takes advantage of feir abilities to redo days and copy the skills of others in ways that basically amount to fem cheating. Fe will find a weakness of a certain quest or boss and then chooses a skill to gain that will allow fem to most exploit that weakness. I also appreciate how the two main bosses fe's fought so far are both presented as having tragic backstories and how Gong-Ja defeats them while remaining somewhat compassionate of their circumstances. In other words, this series doesn't just glorify smashing the boss monsters into dust, and instead actually includes some more nuance to the situations.

The art is full color and very nicely done. Some of the photographic/3D-image stuff in the backgrounds don't always blend in the best, but the backgrounds are kept more blurry than the foreground so it wasn't a huge issue. Gong-Ja's ring pupil looks kinda odd. There are cute girls and the characters in general all have pretty cool-looking character designs. I like the psychedelic 3D-glasses effect used whenever Gong-Ja drinks the elixir.

I found the use of aliases to be kinda dumb. Well, I guess I should say the specific aliases chosen. Like, "Master Alchemist" or "Inquisitor" didn't come across as cool names. I enjoy basically all of the characters introduced so far (except for maybe Poisonous Viper). I think the Sword Emperor and the Sword Saint are the two most vital characters after Gong-Ja. It feels like there might be maybe a romantic possibility between Gong-Ja and the Witch of the Black Dragon, and honestly I would be glad to see more romance or romance-adjacent aspects added to this series.

[Reviewed at chapter 40]

v1ad's avatar
Jan 1, 2021

It is actually pretty good, the plot is original and the characters are well writen. Hope it get better or at least keep this quality.

8.5/10 story
RinSama123's avatar
Feb 12, 2021

I totally recommend this one the story is so so so so good and also if you like solo leveling or any manga that is the sams as solo leveling you will definitely love this.

Shadowdark10's avatar
Feb 21, 2024

After reading more than 100 chapters, there is only one word with which this manhwa could be described and that is “masterpiece”.

Story: Ok I admit that the first chapters are quite heavy to read, the protagonist who obtains an overpower ability goes back in time and begins to use his knowledge of the future to obtain advantages, they didn't convince me much, but once I got over those first chapters and when he gets past the 10th floor, it will be all an uphill climb, the story is really interesting and well articulated with many twists and surreal situations that always make you wonder how the story will continue, it also deals with many well-constructed themes such as: suffering, love, personal growth, etc... perhaps the only real criticism for now is that the protagonist really has too convenient an ability that is unlikely to make him fail.

Art: Really very beautiful, sometimes you notice that it is not perfect as art, but it adapts very well to this type of story

Characters: (warning, may contain spoilers) Perhaps the best part of the show, they have a cast full of well-characterized characters, each with their own personality.
Gong-ja KIM: I have conflicting thoughts with him, I like him as a protagonist and how he always tries to achieve the best possible goal, but I really feel that he is too overpowered thanks to the skills he possesses, he certainly shows great cunning and incredible willpower for the challenges it faces, but I would also like to see it fail.
Sword Emperor: I don't have much to say about him, nice, joker, you can say that you never get bored watching him XD
Black Witch: my favorite of the guild leaders is beautiful, intelligent, devious, but she has a big heart even if she doesn't show it, I hope to see more of her in the future
Sword Saint: I hate him, I never liked him as a character throughout the story, too irascible and presumptuous
Preta: His past was really sad, and his arc was interesting, but as a character it doesn't say much
Baek Hyang SO: She was so tough to watch, one of the best written characters in the story, it's impossible not to empathize with her, and while her dedicated arc didn't blow my mind, her ending was wonderful to read
Raviel Ivansia: (They need to update the list and include this character), ok she is definitely my favorite, her dedicated arc is really interesting, but the character herself is top, the way she deals with certain issues and the way she who interacts with the protagonist leads you to change your point of view on many things, not to mention that the way she deals with the theme of love is damn beautiful, I don't think I've ever been so taken by this theme as with her XD.

Conclusion: well what are you waiting for? Go immediately and get this manhwa which is one of the few that I truly consider a masterpiece ;).

9.5/10 story