Shitsuji-dono no Ai Neko - Reviews

Shitsuji-dono no Ai Neko
Ponyo18's avatar
Jul 28, 2020

It's a nice shoujo manga but it's quite uneventful.

Story: In the house of Arima works a very capable butler, Ogata. (Let me tell you right now, he is fine.) One day Ogata's master returns with a girl, similar to a cat. She is called Sanae. Sanae becomes attached to Ogata, and he learns that her real name is Riko. Riko hardly speaks and is very cautious, she won't sleep without Ogata and won't eat unless he takes the first bite. The story is told from Ogata's point of view.

Art: If you are not familiar with this author, then allow me to explain. It's very pretty and has the ability to make the characters look very sophisticated. The art reminds me of Silver Diamond

Characters: Ogata is a very capable butler, I think he's perfect, which is the problem. Riko is like a cat, she's adorable and literally scratches strangers. She's very cute and innocent, yet has a calm demeanor much like Ogata.

Overall3.5/5 stars

orpheusx9's avatar
Jun 18, 2021

TL;DR - To be honest, I don't know why people like this manga.

It's pretty uneventful. Nothing really happens. The main girl is basically a cat in human form. It's like she doesn't understand how to act like a human (scratching someone who looked at her? Wandering off and sleeping in random places? Clinging to the same guy over and over?). I guess I can maybe see why some people enjoy this, and think she's cute. But I dunno, I kind of prefer heroines with personalities beyond being a rabid feline?

The main guy is boring as hell. There's nothing outstanding about him. He's rich. He's supposed to be frighteningly handsome (I don't see it). All the women and even some men swoon over him, except our rabid feline, who's outright obsessed with him. He's a stoic butler that's a white knight, swooping in to save our main girl whenever she gets into "trouble" that most functional adults will avoid. So goddamn boring. And frustrating.

I'm a big fan of shoujo manga because of the warm fuzzies, but with the way the story and characters are in this one, I don't feel any warm fuzzies, just annoyance.

You know how some manga are just awful, cringy fantasies of lonely people? This is one of them, minus the sex.