Seven Little Sons of the Dragon - Reviews

Alt title: Ryuu no Kawaii Nanatsu no Ko

Seven Little Sons of the Dragon
FullmetalDragon's avatar
Nov 28, 2016

This was a super cute selection of short stories. They were all focused around a fantasy setting, which is always a plus for me. But even so, I thought the majority of the stories were interesting and had some nice touches in them. As a general rule I'm not a huge fan of collections, but the stories in this felt pretty complete.

Obviously, the stories were all too short to become attached to the characters, but I found I liked the vast majority of them. There was a good mix of different characters, as well as a good mix in the type of story they were in. This certainly kept me entertained.

If you like fantasy, then this is a very good read for you. Even if you're not particularly a fan of collections, I'm sure you'd still enjoy it.

Review for November 2016 DMMC

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Jan 29, 2021

A collection of stories wherein fantasy elements are mixed in with the real world, during various times periods and in various ways. The art uses a lot of white space and simplified silhouette drawings along with the more detailed work. Since it makes more sense to talk about the individual stories, here they are:

1. Set in the medieval world in the midst of tensions between two people groups--the sealanders and the highlanders. A dragon (which is more of a griffin) sets up its nest right in the crossroads and prevents them from battling until its baby has grown up enough to leave the nest. It's an alright story with a clear anti-war sentiment. I would rate it as a 5/10.
  2. This is the masterpiece of the collection, in my opinion. It deals with a high-schooler and feir interactions with a mermaid. Set in a world where it's not seen as a crime to kill mermaids. Though, don't worry, no mermaids were harmed in the making of this chapter. I would rate it as an 8/10.
  3. Yukie can see gods in the world. And worries about the god of the mountain river disappearing while also worrying about feir upcoming entrance exams. This is the worst story of the bunch, and I would rate it as a 1/10.
  4. Probably the second best story, though I didn't much care for the first segment (which I think was supposed to be the manga the mother had written). It deals with a college student who has Werewolf Syndrome, the girl fe unknowingly hit on while in feir charging period, and feir mother who has tried feir best dealing with the unique issues in raising a werewolf child. I would rate it as a 7/10.
  5. An old man painter with knobbly knuckles is so skilled that feir paintings come to life, so fe leaves them slightly unfinished to avoid that. Until fe decides to try to make some money by selling the creatures produced by feir paintings. I would rate it as a 2/10.
  6. A suspicious woman agrees to guide the prince to the dragon's nest. This is the second story that mentions the idea of a dragon's scale being a cure-all medicine (a piece of lore I had been unaware of). I would rate it as a 2/10.
  7. A family of secretly superpowered people accidentally activate their powers in front of a detective, leading to an honestly chuckle-worthy whodunnit story filled with misunderstandings. I would rate it as a 6/10.