Seraph of the End - Reviews

Alt title: Owari no Seraph

Seraph of the End
hatchyy's avatar
Apr 25, 2022

i've read it all (113 chapters), still up to date to this day and i dont know why.

i guess, after finishing season 1 and 2, i wanted to see how mika and yu would evolve. that was a miss.

most of the characters were shallow to begin with : except for the vampires who ended up being the best part of the show. i hate hate hate the human side, especially yuu and his team, as they're being portrayed as the good ones or whatnot. the more the story goes, the more they sink deeper into their one-dimensional personality.

the plot in itself is incomprehensible : you have the hiragi, guren and the catastrophe, the first vampire shikamadoji, his overpowered relatives doing their stuff on their own, the past showcasing present characters in uncanny situations, and in the middle of all this mess, some randoms battles and events that take roots in nothing.

notwithstanding, the reason why i'm having a hard time following this story is guren (spoiler warning) : the guy is responsible for all the chaos and deaths from the very beginning, what's more, for selfish reasons, his gf is a maniac who abused her sister and apparently messed up with some curses in the past sotryline as well, he neglects his friends for whom he destroyed the world, manipulates yuu, KILLS MIKA, for no valid reasons, and basically betrays people here and there frequently and gets forgiven. yuu forgives him more than once, shinya is in love basically and everyone still cooperates. even the readers are still fond of him. i really loath him.

the nonsense is getting the best of me, but wtf? he basically kills mika before the very eyes of yuu, we struggle to get him back as a demon (which i was really sad about) and despite all of that, they still meekly obey his commands. the fact that this characters gets praised all along is so annoying to me ; he once again comitted betrayal in the last chapters, just so you know it's a habit.

mika is, to me, and along with few vampires, the only sane character, and i quicly got annoyed seeing how every single characters treated him; calling him 'vampire' instead of his name, giving resentful stares, basically blaming him for every move made by the vampire even when it had nothing to do with him. it was too much for me when (spoiler alert) he started losing his emotions, and i gave up when he lost his memory. the only two who kind of respected him were yuu and shinoa, the latter i despise the less out of all the team.

anyhow, the art is immaculate and the chapters colossal. but, what for? i barely understand the idea behind the plot. it's messy and the characters development is of no help. i can't help myself but continue, hoping each time that it will get better.

Isaweeb's avatar
Jul 11, 2020

Owari no Seraph/ Seraph of the end is one of my favorites! The characters are just soooo beautiful and I really love the plot! But my favorite part about the manga is the art style!! SO GODAMN PRETTY, For me Owari no Seraph is literally perfect in every way. I'm not a huge fan of Yuichiro (Yu), but thats why we have Mikaela (Mika) he's just sooo perfect.

orpheusx9's avatar
Feb 4, 2021

EDIT (2023)Several years later and I can't even make sense of the story anymore.

What dafuq is going on

---

TL;DR - Started off great but has since gone off the rails somewhat...

The beginning of this was fun and interesting. It's a pretty cookie-cutter shounen fighting fantasy, but that can be pretty entertaining and fun in its own way.

The action is cool, and the art is drawn really well. The characters, although their personalities are cliche and typical, their motivations and underlying character arcs are slightly more interesting.

However, starting around chapters 70-80, the story has kinda gone bonkers. Stuff is making less sense, characters are becoming more and more contrived, and random twists and turns are happening that seem less and less believable.

Oh, we find out the guy we thought was our friend turned out to be an enemy...only to find out that that was part of his plan all along and he was actually a friend. Meh?

The manga had a good run, and it's fairly entertaining for what it is. But don't expect a masterpiece, and if you're going to read all the way up to what's available now, be prepared for a lotta contrived, complicated nonsense.

Ebonyslayer's avatar
Jun 4, 2020

After 91 chapters I think I've actually reached the end of my rope for the series. The characters are for the most part cookie cutter molds that have nothing to mold. Except for maybe most of the vampires and Shinoa.

Yuuichiro has as much depth to him as a toilet bowl. His entire raison d'être is to protect his family and leaving aside whether or not that is good (I think it's admirable and a great quality to have) the way it's developed and shown is just painful. For one, Mikaela and Makoto have good arguments why they shouldn't do what they're doing (i.e. trust/follow Guren, Felid, Crowley, etc.) but this is waved aside because (a) the character in question is not entirely bad and (b) they must have had their reasons.

The problem with this sort of reasoning is that (a) fails to hold up as a defense of a character prima facie because no one is entirely something (unless you're some sort of reductionist). So Yuuichiro can't coherently defend the characters he does without considering the arguments Mikaela and Makoto present but he doesn't do that (but to be fair Yuuichiro is presented as a sort of an idiot with a heart of gold but idiocy has its limits and stretches our willingness to cheer for him; even Luffy and Goku knew where to draw the line). (b) is just plain bad. Again prima facie there could be said there is always a reason for something but the mere existence of a reason does not necessitate a character as good/just.

So we have it according to Yuuichiro's logic, Guren (or any of Yuuichiro's comrades) could genocide an entire race and as long as it is for a reason then it is okay. I'm not sure about you but that isn't a character I'd like to root for (unless the author makes him enjoyable to see onscreen though Kagami Takaya doesn't do that here). So we have it that Yuuichiro's modus operandi is that the "ends justify the means." More specifically, the protection of his comrades come before anything else which is typical shounen manga values but that's about it. There's nothing really else going on. All actions taken by him are to that end and that's what I mean by Kagami Takaya mistaking a character type (the standard shounen manga hero) for a character.

Shinoa is probably my favorite character because although she fits in the kuudere mold she doesn't fit it to a tee. She's playful, smug, and a tad mysterious; in other words its fun to see her on screen. The only aspect I wish was better with her is the romantic subplot between her and Yuuichirou.

The setting is interesting, but the thing is that its cluttered when the story starts. There are vampires, angels, monsters and humans. You don't get a clear sense of who is fighting who and what caused what. We have it that (a) the world is ruined, (b) vampires and humans are fighting, and (c) monsters are wrecking anything and everyone they see. Well okay; I can take (a) at face value but what about (b) and (c)? What is their relation? Is (c) related to the vampires or humans? Who do we root for in (b)?

In stories like these its good to clearly separate the side we should root for because it helps the story move along easier and tightens the narrative focus.Instead we get a cluttered and episodic focus that makes it hard who to root for until, maybe thirty or so chapters later (or at least until Krul, Felid, and Guren's machinations are partly revealed). It only gets worse once they introduce "God" as some sort of antagonist for the patriarch of the vampires. It screams of triteness, of a typical JRPG story that fails to leave me with bated breath.

And now for the narrative. This is less of an issue than the first but still a major one. Kagami Takaya clearly set up a complicated narrative for Seraph of the End but he split it up between several spin-off series that ended up taking away from the main series in terms of narrative build-up. In other words, the build-up isn't in Seraph of the End but in Seraph of the End's spin-offs.

Now I can see why he would want to do that: (1) he can easily reduce the amount of time the series is running in a magazine by offloading critical plotlines to other side-stories and (2) potentially increase revenue. (2) is trivially easy why he would do so but (1) makes it a bit harder to justify because it impacts the main series which is the series most read and the series the anime aims to advertise (i.e. the series entry point). So you get things like Mikaela's time spent between the start of the series and the time he met Yuuichirou cut out out where in fact it could have helped establish his character and flesh out the world.

Same thing with Guren and his backstory and even the vampires. Hell, Shinoa is revealed to have some sort of demon but that isn't revealed until 50-60 chapters in. I mean we know she has some sort of relationship with her sister (who is revealed to be Guren's lover and reason for him being so fucked up) but this isn't really elaborated. Dropping plot points without foreshadowing them (Saito isn't really foreshadowed, just sort of dropped onto us) makes it hard to feel the weight of the twists Kagami Takaya employs.

Overall, it's hard to like Seraph of the End on the grounds that it's characters, especially its protagonist and deuteragonist, are so poorly characterized, and its narrative so splintered. In all honesty the art is probably one of the reasons why I even bothered with the series.

Webtoons4Ever's avatar
Aug 23, 2023

🩸⚔️🌿𝕾𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖕𝖍 𝖔𝖋 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝕰𝖓𝖉🌿⚔️🩸
    The virus has killed everyone over the age of thirteen, but hope is not lost. A new society was created in order to destroy the vampires: the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. Mika is with the vampires, his own bitterness buried deep within him. He longs to find his best friend Yu and escape the troubles of the world. Meanwhile, Yuichiro (Yu) and Yoichi are training to become strong enough to have a demon inside them but not let it consume them. Will the humans efforts be enough to rebel against the vampires?

"The seraph of the end . . . Yu, I'll come save you."
          -Mika
     I'm not sure where the series is going with the plot, but so far I'm not enjoying it. With such a strong beginning, it ends up fizzing out into... These are my opinions, and they are not meant to offend you! Between the two, Mika is definitely my favorite. With so few scenes with him, I really wish he was the protagonist. From the small glimpse I got of his character now, currently, I'm excited to see where his character arc will take him. Yu is still unlikable, especially when he constantly brings Yoichi down, telling him he's weak and should just walk away.

Other characters aren't memorable or complex. Yu's revenge arc is not everything I wanted it to be. Revenge arc stories are my favorite, but they don't work well for me if I don't like the protagonist. I try to empathize with Yu. He's been through a lot of traumatic things at a young age. I still believe that this does not mean he's allowed to act this way, nor should it be normalized. Yoichi is someone who has also experienced something traumatizing but doesn't let that stop him from being kind or caring.

I would love for the world-building to be explained more. I want to know where the vampires originated from. How do humans manage to communicate with demons? It feels like there is so much to explore in this world, which I hope will be explored more in the other volumes. The flashback from Yoichi's perspective was eye-opening and sad to see what he experienced. I want to know Yu better, underneath the confident and strong personality he shows, in order to cope. In conclusion, I'm unsure whether I'll continue with this manga or not, but if I see this book in the library, I'll be sure to pick it up!
🆗PLOT