Second Life Ranker - Reviews

Alt titles: Du Beon Saneun Ranker, Ranker Who Lives a Second Time

Second Life Ranker
EvaCVM's avatar
Apr 20, 2020

I am sorry , there is no way I can rate it lower than a 9. But hear me out.
It is a lot better , than solo leveling even.

To explain exactly why - these 2 manhwas have so many similarities , and while solo leveling is a bitt more exagerated and I still liked it a lot - This manhwa is so balanced and calculated , it is insane how fast you fall in love with it.

The way characted acts has a background , a story behind it. You literally can't find a single thing wrong while reading.

I left thie review at the end of reading episode 55. By now - everything was perfect , there was not a single moment when I wanted to stall it or leave for later.

I must say that there is only 1 thing I really would consider a huge similarity:

SPOILER ALERT

-the character seem to have the same affinity for dead things (necromancy) same as the MC in solo leveling.
I know that there is no way to be totaly unique and original , so this is not a problem , actually.

I like that there is a dual thing in his power , which makes this detail not so visible and it doesn't frustrate me this much.

Spoiler End

For now , the story gets 10 , maybe my opinion will change , sometime in the future.

For now I will give character a 9 , for not being fully unique.

Still - If you liked SOLO LEVELING - you will adore this manhwa as well.

Art is as amazing as ever. The clothes and character phisique is something that I apreciate in manga.

Art takes all 10.

natanickii's avatar
Jan 3, 2021

This manhwa is really hard to describe for me.

CONS:

All the characters are very superficial and have no depth.
The plot is very power fanstasy-esque to the point where it makes no sense (ie. the main character should NOT be able to do everything so easily, as non-human characters and the strongest people are groomed for this tower since birth)

There is so higher plot apart from 'I get stronk'. There's a tower that's never really explained, that gives you godly powers. No one in the manhwa ever stops to think about it.
The revenge concept is not done well. It's revenge but we only get really vague impressions of what happened (ie. they betrayed my brother, they killed my brother) and it's difficult to care.

PROS:

The art..... is BEAUTIFUL.

But that's it. Logically speaking, that's like the only good thing about it. But there's still this addictive allure to it.... for me at least, I wanted to read more and was so enthralled even though it's so lacking in any form of depth or sense. It's trash but it's trash... not even done well, just satisfiying. And so, while this deserves a 2, I'm going to give it a generous 6 because it's just so easy to be hypnotised by it.

Shampoliny's avatar
Apr 29, 2020

I will not compare this to solo leveling or the other way around, and just to correct Eva but they have a different author.

The story follows an Mc who's main objective is revenge, the mc is so interesting that it makes you want to keep reading his story. The story is more focused on the Mc then the world around him or other caracters, the Mc isnt overpowered in the begining, he actually becomes op becouse of his training and choices. He also has an uperhand due to him almost having an manual on where to go to get legendary equipments. The mc is also an lonley wolf, and preffere to do his objectives alone, even though the 4 main side characters we've meet are siblings which maybe is the reason why the mc accepts their company more then others.
As the story keeps on going the more fame and attraction our mc gets, but his skills develops and get's more op weapons and equipments which makes up for it.

The most negative part is the Art, sometimes it feels like im seing cgi in an manga.

If u like stories about weak to strong,revenge,fantasy and rpg then i recomend this.

Overall 9,5/10

(Sorry for any misspelings or wrong grammars)

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
TazzyTheTiger's avatar
Nov 17, 2020

The only unique thing about the story is that he is getting revenge for someone else, not himself. This is honestly not very good. I read it a while ago thinking it was super good, but now that I've read so much manga I've realized how bad this is. The characters are super bland, I can't think of a single character that I liked more than another character. This is very average. Edgy teens might tell you this is super good and shit, but it's honestly pretty average. It's not better than solo leveling, even though solo leveling is overrated. If your an edgy teen looking for cringey story-telling then go for it, but if your anything other than that, don't waste your time.

Leonthesnowman's avatar
May 22, 2021

Pros

• The art is pretty good. I'd say above average. The fights look pretty good. Overall it's defiantly the biggest draw.
  • If you like goofily overpowered MCs and don't care about plot then this is the one for you.
  • Honeslty the pros end here.

Cons

• The plot. There is no plot. This is just a story about the MC being OP (doing things he absolutely shouldn't be able to do) and becoming more OP through pretty much everything he does. Hopefully that's all you want because that's all you'll get. There's no struggle, the original plot of avenging his brother seems to be forgotten for the vast majority of the story, and everything basically only serves the purpose of making the MC more OP or having characters marvel at just how OP he is. "Unbelievable! How could he do this" and "My God! This has never been done before!" You know, generic MC ego stroking.
  • Logic. Again nonexistent. They try to explain how the stats and magic work. Doesn't matter because rules don't apply to MC. If he can't do something rest assured in only a chapter or two he will find some never before found item that lets him it better than anyone else. I remember actually setting my phone down during one chapter, after everything absolutely goes his way, the MC remarks to himself "guess I really got lucky this time." That pretty much sums up the entire plot lmao.
  • Characters. There are no characters. Only surface level dolls that only exist to lose to the MC to show his overwhelming might, or marvel at just how "cool" and "strong" he is.

Overall the 4/10 is generous. If you like pretty good art and are only interested in seeing an OP MC travel a fantasy world unchallenged then you may like it. There are definitely better versions of this out there and maybe that's why this one just falls flat at almost everything it attempts. Genuinely surprised at how others are giving this 9s or 10s. Can't tell if this is just their first one ever, or maybe we're reading something entirely different lmao.