Second Life Ranker (Novel) - Reviews

Alt title: Du Beon Saneun Ranker (Novel)

Second Life Ranker (Novel)
ZeusSoter's avatar
Aug 10, 2021

If you are looking for a badass mc with lots of action, good world building, some mystery, some revenge and lots of thrill and satisfaction dont hesitate and give it a try.

If you are here from the manhwa then i suggest you start reading from around chapter 150 of the novel.(as of this date)

The plot as a whole might not seem like much other than a typical revenge story, but it is so much more. The MC Cha Yeon Woo is not exactly OP in terms of brute strength but is extremely smart and calculative. He thinks things through and knows how to get the best out of every situation. He's sly and vicious(total badass) and doesnt give off any cringy vibes (He's someone who's even got the god's of the 98th floor dancing to his tunes lol...Black King?). The character development is great and doesnt feel rushed or forced. He is someone who everyone sees as cold and ruthless but can show his soft side to 'his people'.

The author takes his time with the world building.Every situation is built step by step carefully and everything is explained to great attention and detail. Personally, in some cases, i feel its unnecessary...like the training arcs are a tad too long...but the pay off is amazing.Every arc that follows the training arc keeps me at the edge of my seat and i absolutely cannot peel myself off of the story until i complete the arc...SPOILER...like 'mountains of penance'arc...'the sesha rescue arc'...'the triton war arc' and the 'gigantomachia' are some of the best arcs...While the fight scenes arent necessarily the best, the narration...the setting and the ultimate feeling of anticipation that it gives off is something AMAZING.

Overall, this is one of the better novels out there. As someone who used to be an enthusiastic reader and hadnt read a novel is a while...this got me back into it...defenitely worth the read.

8.9/10 story
Icegod25's avatar
Apr 4, 2021

I have read this novel from chapter 1 but i cant seem to anything bad about it. I love how each chapter constantly has a hype to it that makes the story sequence good. The way it leaves you wanting more is one other thing to talk about. The character development is very good and also the power scaling and limits are clearly shown. The main character Cha Yeon woo cold blooded personality is one thing to admire about and the way he hoards everything and causing trouble everywhere he goes gets me fired up. The story itself is amazing on its own, showing how big the Tower is and the strong 9 Kings of the tower and the divine beings at the top of it all. The quality of a King he exudes and how OP he is is amazing

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 art
unrippledcicada's avatar
Mar 22, 2021

A power fantasy with a great start but quickly kills itself after a few dozen chapters.

We start off with the protagonist who wants to avenge his brother who was killed in another world. A tower world kind of thing. A big tower. You've heard this before. Rankers and all that stuff. Unoriginal, but excusable. He gets some of his brothers powers and levels up quickly. Stuff like that.

The story is good. It starts off with an interesting premise, but I feel like the author only had the beginning thought out in his head when writing. After the tutorial, the quality declines. It really feels like lack of planning. And the fact that(kind if spoiler-y)the protagonist avenges his brother so early on is even more testament to lack of planning. It should be the overarching plot--the end goal. But it wasn't. well maybe it is and the guys he killed are fake or something but I don't want to continue.

Then the characters are kind of like the ones in usual power fantasies. But hear me out: unlike usual power fantasies, the characters aren't completely two dimensional. They are, but not completely! It's impressive for this type of work. People aren't just dicks because they are. They have motives!

Anyway, the tutorial is great.

You can read it for the tutorial.