Scum's Wish

Alt title: Kuzu no Honkai

Add review
KonohaNinja16's avatar
Dec 27, 2016

I first found out about Kuzu no Honkai(or Scum's Wish) when I was looking up anime that will appear next year in winter 2017. So I decided to check out this manga. WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW. Now the concept of unrequited love is nothing we haven't seen before. Like Toradora we have are two main leads in love with other people so they try and help each other out. But while in Toradora the characters are able to get over their first crushes, in Kuzu no Honkai they do not and it shows the consequences of that and I believe that is what makes Kuzu no Honkai unique. The Overall pacing of the story is well done and it manages to keep the reader's attention with it's storyline. Even if you don't like it it still makes you want to see where is goes.

Now on to characters, the heart and driving force for Kuzu no Honkai. As the title implies these character are Scum. Hence the name Kuzu no Honkai or Scum's Wish. One of the thinks I like and enjoy about this manga is how it examines or approaches the character's thought process and their desires. Our two main characters are Mugi and Hanabi. Throughout the course of the manga we see how Hanabi and Mugi try and ease their loniness and end up hurting the people around them. For Example: Instead of finding solstice Hanabi actually finds herself more alone than she was before. I won't say any more since I might give something about the story away. Another character I'm going to talk about I will talk about is the music teacher. Her character is honestly one of the most interesting and the biggest scum of them all.

The art in Kuzu no Honkai is very beautiful and help to tell the story and capture the state of mind of these characters.

Now with all the great things of Kuzu no Honkai it does have its problems. I would have liked to see just a little bit more done with Moka's character. While the pacing is well done at times it seemed to move a little bit too fast. My last complaint with Kuzu no Honkai is I want to have some more backstory on Ecchan.

While I do recommend Kuzu no Honkai it is mature and darker themes. I wouldn't recommend this to some people though if you are looking for a manga with comedy and a lighthearted tone.

Eiraza's avatar
Sep 8, 2017

I really enjoyed the realistic sense of this manga. It explores unrequited love and first love's in a way that isn't generally done. Basically all the characters but two have bittersweet endings and well this isn't a manga you want to ship anybody in because no one you want to end up together does. But I can appericate its realism and hope the maybe the two main characters will find there way back together when they're older. Who knows. The art was pretty good, no finicky stuff there. I really enjoyed the depth to all the characters, though they were definitely self destructive but they could admit it. I'm giving the characters a 6.5 but honeslty that ranges between all the characters. The scummiest gets the happiest ending, but all in all I liked the story. If I was rating this 10 out of 10 on real life scenarios i'd give it a 9. But I'm giving it a 7 because I would prefer a happier ending. Don't hate lol.

6.5/10 characters