Saturn Apartments - Reviews

Alt title: Dosei Mansion

Saturn Apartments
sothis's avatar
Mar 8, 2021

Tricky series to review. If you took the art of Twin Spica and the plot of Planetes, you'd get something similar to Saturn Apartments.

The mangaka's art is childlike and gorgeous - my favorite scenes were the two-page spreads showing the window washers on the outside of the ring, looking down at Earth. And the story starts in a compelling way, with Mitsu becoming a window washer and us learning about his sad past with losing his father.

But, frankly, it gets boring quick. It took me a long time to move from vol 1 to the end, having owned the series for years. The individual clients' apartments and their back stories are interesting, but it just gets old fast and chapters about the window washers in general just aren't compelling after awhile. There's a sub-plot that kicks in in the last few volumes which I thought may help the series end with a bang, but it ended up being anti-climactic and felt like a fairly poor/rushed ending.

I lean 3.5/5 stars overall, but went with 4 purely because of the art, and because of some of the chapters being genuinely tragic and melancholy.