Roxana - Reviews

Alt titles: Roxana: Yeojuingongui Oppareul Jikineun Bangbeop, The Way to Protect the Female Lead's Older Brother

Roxana
upsidepenguin's avatar
Feb 12, 2021

<Note: This isn't a reverse harem>

You're in for a ride with this one!

The plot is gripping, the art is phenomenal (so many hot people), and the characters are interesting. It's definitely twisted, but it's beautifully twisted.

Honestly, I didn't feel too uncomfortable reading this webtoon, probably because I was ready for the gore and cruelty of the situation, and none of the FL's cruel actions felt too out of line.

Plot: The plot moves at a reasonable pace. The reading experience is pretty intense. The world-building is nice, and there weren't many exposition dumps. I enjoyed reading how the FL deals with the situation. The events are interesting, and the backstories flow well with the present story.

Characters and relationships: The relationship between FL (Roxana) and ML (Cassis) is progressing at medium pace. It's not the healthiest relationship, but it's not uncomfortable to read.

FL does things expected of a villainess. She's accepted she needs to be cruel to survive. It's not the childish kind of cruel or the overboard nonsensical cruel, but one that is just right, and totally understandable in her dog-eat-dog family. She's cunning for sure, and in normal settings she could be considered evil... but this isn't a normal setting.

The ML is good. We don't see much of his personality yet, but he seems interesting. If his character is more dynamic in the future, I'd raise the characters score.

The FL's younger brother (Jeremy) is twisted (protective and yandere), her older brother (Dion) is even more twisted (I-like-to-see-you-cry and probably yandere; he's obsessed with Roxana, but doesn't seem to be in the incest-y way), with the father being the most twisted (just evil - treats children like objects and is very ambitious). The twisted sisters and mothers add to the story very well too.

I realize the brothers sound incest-y in this review, but while reading it doesn't feel that incest-y; it's just a twisted family.

Art: The expressions, the eyes (the details in the eyes are beautiful), the hands, the muscles, and basically everything are gorgeous. Everyone is good to look at. All proportions are well drawn. The art's one of the best I've seen.

The artist uses light well to emphasize dramatic moments. I'd say the relationship between the art and plot in this webtoon is similar to that of "The Villain's Savior". The art really matches the story - I'd say it even boosts it. There are no chibi moments that interrupt the seriousness of the story.

Overall:

I recommend you give this a try if you can stomach what's been stated in the tags. You'll probably like this if you like "Your Throne".

Btw, I was reminded of the song El Tango de Roxanne when I read the webtoon. I'd say the name and tone of the song suits the webtoon pretty well.

YukinaZero's avatar
Feb 12, 2021

Wow, this is so fricken good. The author of this story really knows how to write, the plot is way to good for a genre as trashy as this one lol. I actually felt the thrill of wanting to k ow what happens next when I reached the end of the released chapters. I haven't felt that passionate about a romance manga in so long its sad.

SingstheReaper's avatar
May 2, 2021

This story was a breath of fresh air. Even though it starts out with the generic isaki theme, it quickly grows into a fascinating work of art! The character development is very interesting, and I can't wait to see where the story will go. I found many of the twists and turns unexpected  and I appreciate that the story isn't as predictable as others. One thing that sets it apart is that the female lead definitely has a skewed moral compass (thanks to her family) and it is interesting to see her walk the line of sanity and insanity as she tries to survive in a twisted environment.

The one thing that did bother me about this story was that it really didn't need to be an isaki. The only reason it matters is because she needed to know the story to save the male lead. After the first chapter it is forgettable that she had a previous life. Personally I think that the isaki/rebirth trope has been overused, but that is just my opinion.

Overall it is a fantastic story, well worth the read.

eredffe's avatar
Jun 11, 2021

as you can tell from my ratings its a masterpiece with no faulty i can find out. first lets talk about the story. its villainess story with the typical transmigation in to a novel but thats all. the story is comletely new and epic. she is not pretending to be but she is cunning, op and evil. next art. ok one of the best art i have seen after villainess is a marionatte. the characters are perfect. starting from protagonists, antagonists to minor. i rate it infinity/10.

365manhwamen's avatar
Feb 17, 2021

Exquite artwork, nice storyline, hot and good-looking men, gorgeous females... you name it, it's all there. I want to see more of the story so tell more about it but still, this is going good!